1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my original thread got taken over with Dave flames and finally locked, I thought I would post a followup to my SA project gun.

I had posted looking for ideas on why I couldn't get the trigger pull down below 6#. A number of folks posted good ideas, but Barry (aka bjg-1911) had the winning suggestion - the sear nose was too short. After replacing the hammer, sear, sear spring, MS housing & hammer spring, I now have a beautiful 4# pull with absolutely no creep or hint of roughness.

The next step was barrel replacement (the factory fit was pretty poor). After talking with Barry (who graciously offered to mentor me through this process), I selected a Kart EZ fit. It didn't take too long before Springfield reared it's ugly head again - opening in the slide for the bushing was way beyond spec (.708") THe Kart bushing was still a sloppy fit. Barry to the rescue again - he cut a really oversize bushing to my barrel measurements and mailed it to me. After quite a few more email & telephone consultations, I got the new barrel installed & took the completed gun to the range on Thanksgiving. Success! less than 2" groups at 25 yds & perfect reliability in 200 rounds fired.

So what did I learn?

1) Measure everything. Nothing seems to be made to spec any more (at least from SA)
2) Barrel fitting is complex. Even Kart's instructions leave a lot of things out. Khunhausen vol 2 has most of the info if you know what to look for.
3) I probably would have screwed something up if I hadn't had Barry's long distance help. No substitute for experienced assistance.
4) I'll never look at another SA again:)

Thanks to everyone who responded, and especially bjg-1911. I have a great pistol now and had the satisfaction of doing it myself.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Grizz: I want to apologize to you for causing the " Flame Out" on your SA problems. It was not my intention to do that and I am truly sorry it happened. I am not a people pleaser and have said what I think all of my life. I forget we live in a world where the truth is despised and I will be more careful in the future.Good luck on any future projects and please keep the faith. You are smart and learn your lessons well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts