1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at the LEE 4 hole turret press. I want it to reload my 357 magnums, but mostly I need to reload my 6.5x55sweede. I know I need the double disk kit and a rifle charging dies, I have the dies already and case trimmer and other accessories will come in the kit. Question is, Is this the press for me? I have no question it will work for the handgun rounds, but I want to know that it will work for my rifles.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Sometimes I think we should rename this forum "the Dillon forum".

There are other brands besides Lee and Dillon. I started with a Lee single-stage press, and Lee dies.

After a little over a year, and the second time I broke the handle, I moved up to a Lyman T-Mag Turret.

It's around $100 or so, more than a Lee, but half an the cost of a AT550 Dillon.

It's solid steel/iron, very heavy duty. More than twice as fast as the single stage, but simple enough for a beginner.

I've used it for a few thousand .45 acp, and also a much lower number of two rifle calibers (7x57 and 45-70) and still think it's great, absolutely no problems. I've used at least 4 different brands of dies (Lee, Hornady, Redding, Lyman) no problem at all.

To change calibers (turrets already set up with dies) is about one minute. I just bought another turret for it, to start loading another rifle caliber (30 Carbine.) I enjoy using this press.

I hear Dillon a lot, but for me this is plenty good, and way cheaper. But I only shoot 2 to 3 hundred rounds a month. It makes a big difference how much you shoot whether the Dillon is the most suitable press for you.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
RCBS, Hornady, Dillon, Redding, Lyman they are all good presses. I like some of Lee's products, but their presses are on my don't buy list.

·
Registered
688 Posts
gestalt3 said:
I'm looking at the LEE 4 hole turret press. I want it to reload my 357 magnums, but mostly I need to reload my 6.5x55sweede. I know I need the double disk kit and a rifle charging dies, I have the dies already and case trimmer and other accessories will come in the kit. Question is, Is this the press for me? I have no question it will work for the handgun rounds, but I want to know that it will work for my rifles.
Buy the best press you can afford or are willing to spend. There's nothing worse than buying more equipment than you need when you could have spent that money on other stuff like components, guns, match fees, etc.

I'm not familiar with the 6.5 x 55, but the Turret press can be used to load at least up to 30/06. You just need to remove the auto index collar from the ram (it's right below the shell plate) to get the extra length.

I used a Turret press for some years as a second press. It works fine. If ever you start shooting more, you'll know if you need to buy a press with more output.

If you are comfortable with the Turret press, buy it and don't look back.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just got a turret press. I got the redding T-7. I love that thing. It will last a life time. Really solid. It has 7 holes. Very nice for a turret press. Midsouth has them for $168 right now. I use a progressive for my pistol stuff, but I am loving the turret press while I work up loads for rifle. Midwayusa has some very good comments from customers that have bought that press. You can check out what people say about the other presses too before you get one. That is what made me want the press I got. Everyone who bought the redding loves it.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Dillon 550 all the way!

The only thing I like in LEE is their dies. I like everything Dillon has(including the women in Blue Press :D :D ).

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I Know you have all ready heard this answer before: but before I do I just want to say that I went to the main store in Az and they are as pleasant and nice there as they are helpfull on the phone when you have any problem. Now for that answer........ Dillon!!!
Is there any other?

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'll take RCBS hands down!
I've had mine almost 18yrs. Single stage, alittle slow but I jump from loading 45s to 30-06 to 25-06, to 38s .
Built to last 3 life times!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Thats my $.02

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Well it sounds like the original question was just wanting validation that the Lee Turret press will work with pistol and rifle, and is a good starting press. Which I'm sure it is.

My brother uses the Lee Turret, he likes it a lot. I was very close to getting the Lee Turret myself, but in the end, I got the Lyman T-Mag, because I had broken my Lee handle twice, and wanted something a little sturdier. The Lee has one or two plastic parts, and the Lyman doesn't.

I'm sure the Lee Turret will do fine. It may not the "the best" but they certainly do work, for both rifle and pistol.

Overall I think it's a good deal for beginning reloading. Get the "kit" with it, and it's an even better deal.

Enjoy your new press, and stay safe! (if you're even stil reading this...)

·
Banned
750 Posts
The question is, how much reloading are you going to do?

I think rather than tell you what press to buy, I'd advise you to think about what cartridge you are going to reload for, how much reloading you are going to do per month and per year.

Affected by the amount of reloading you are going to do are factors like time of year, cost (affordability) and other non-shooting activities. You should consider all these (and any others in your life you can think of) factors before investing in any reloading equipment.

What none of the folks above mentioned is you don't need a progressive reloader if you are only reloading a 100-350 cartridges every six months or so. Or that you might want more than a single stage press if you want to have time to do something with your free time other than reload ammo. Or that you might only have a bit of time this month to reload for the next six months (say 600 rounds). In most of these cases, a turret press could very well be ideal for your application.

I'd like to suggest you think about the type and quantity of reloading you are going to be doing, how much time you have available to reload, what kind of time you want to devote to reloading. After you've done this, then think about how much money you want to invest in reloading equipment, how much can you afford vs. spending the same money on either reloading material (brass, bullets, power and primers are not free) or possibly, do you want to spend your money for things that do not have anything to do with reloading, such as a new car.

Finally, after taking all these into consideration, make your purchase. Like you, I took a hard look at turret presses before I finally bought a progressive. (I already had a complete single stage setup and found it way too slow for my lifestyle.) What I found out after the fact is I don't shoot enough to justify the purchase. I should have gotten the turret.

A lot of folks start with the Lee Turret Press and most seem to be happy with it, even with the fact it isn't a Dillon. If you think it will do the things you want/need a reloading press to do, think I certainly think you should get it.

Dave in Oakwood

·
Registered
128 Posts
-Rant mode on-

If the Lee is what you want then by all means get it! Try to tune out the Dillon snobs and buy what you want or can afford at the time. The Lee turret will churn out the same quality ammo as any press made. I wouldn't try to form any brass with it but for most "normal" reloading chores it will work just fine.

Yes Dillon may be the cream of the crop but this "Buy Dillon or don't buy anything at all" crap is getting pretty old.

-Rant mode off-

·
Registered
92 Posts
Try Blue

I have a singe stage RCBS that I used for a couple years for .45acp. It works terrific -- if not slow as glacial movement. I got a good deal on a used Dillon 550 (thanks Sheldon!) on this forum and have never looked back. Now, I've not reloaded rifle in this press, but I'm easily cranking out 350+ at a leisurely pace with the 550. It's easily converted for different calibers and utterly reliable. Beyond that, if you can buy a used Dillon, the warranty makes it just like buying new. No hassles whatsoever. I LOST a locator pin in my shop vac (MY FAULT) and they shipped me a set of new ones -- no questions asked. I've never gotten service like that anywhere.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you only shoot 500 rounds a month or so, don't have a lot of money, and want a decent press that will work, get the Lee Turret Press with auto index. I've had one for years and have loaded over 50000 rounds with it and have never had a problem. I also have a Hornady Pregressive Press but I do most of my reloading on the Lee. I mainly use Bullseye Powder, W231, and Blue Dot and the Lee disk powder measure is always right on. I never have to worry.

·
Registered
48 Posts
OK how about a question from a Dillon snob. I would love to ask why buy anything else but that is too easy. What I want to know is why anyone would want to buy a single stage press? I don't have one, instead I have 2 Dillon AT-500's. I have the ability to place 4 dies into the toolhead and using it as a single stage press. I only have to place brass on one side or the other instead of the front. I don't have to remove dies in order to switch from siginf to seating, etc. When you are dealing with thousandths of an inch how do you know that you have screwed the die down exactly the same as when you took your original measurements? O yea the AT-500 maybe costs $80 more than a good single stage.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 25 Posts