1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've narrowed it down to either getting a dillon 550 or lee classic turret. my question is where are these products made? either have a Made in USA on them??

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Not sure about lee but Dillon is made right here in the USA in AZ, Phoenix area I believe. Been to their store several times in Scottsdale great people, friendly, helpful, and great Calender too!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dillon 550

I had the opportunity to visit the Dillon factory / showroom out in AZ several years ago and was impressed with their people and products. I have a 550 sitting on my reloading bench and have been very happy with it for thousands of reloads. I encourage my friends to get one (some have even taken my advice). If I was looking for a loading press today, I'd buy the 550.

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Lee presses are made in the U.S. I doubt if any foreign manufacturer would own up to making such crappy presses. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I'm pretty sure that Lee presses are made in the U.S. I doubt if any foreign manufacturer would own up to making such crappy presses. :biglaugh:
Yes I am pretty sure both are made in the USA. Which leads me to a question. If RCBS is made in the China sweat shops why do they cost so much?
Rusty

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've heard the cast iron castings

for RCBS press bodies are made in China and milled/finished here in the states. RCBS prices reflect the excellent quality of the finished product.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Lee bashing is really old guys. I have a Lee turret and its very good for the cash outlay. Does Lee make some dogs? Sure, just like RCBS, Redding, etc have had losers. Dillon is no better - square deal B only works with "their" dies? Come on. I plan un getting a 550 when space allows but that does not mean I won't use my Lee turret.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Both are fine presses. Im with the guy that said stop the bashing. Its like comparing a 10,000 dollar car to a 60,000 dollar one. Everone cant afford the 60,000 dollar one.. For me the Lee is a fine peice of machnery and fullfilles my needs for a lot less..

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just got my 550 up and running today. Had a few minor hiccups but nothing major I missed priming three cases. and over charged one which I caught right away.

No lee for me. After seeing my brother break a lee press in half just by resizing I swore off of them.

I also have an RCBS press next to the Dillon That will never change. RCBS is a local company for me As I grew up 40 miles from the factory in Oroville CA. I tell you what the gun store in front of the factory is impressive. If you are ever close by Oroville CA there is two places to see Oroville dam and Huntington's Gun store.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Lee's are made in the States. You may break one of the Lee Reloader presses in half but I really doubt you could break the Lee Classic Turret.
It does what it does,very well but slower than the Dillon.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I started with a Dillon Square B . My best friend had a Lee 1000,Now he has a Dillon 550. The Lee made bullets but it always needed to tweaked with. I got the SDB I didnt know any better and listened to the wrong cheap people I know. Then I got a 550 used and Dillon rebuilt it for free and now I have both the SDB is set up for pistol and I use the 550 for 223 and soon 308. YOU get what you pay for. The SDB has over 150000 round made on it. Yes I have broke it but Dillon fixed it for free every time.If you are going to shoot a lot get the Dillon you willnot regret it.If you are going to debate every dollar you spend then buy the Lee and spend your time reloading vs Shooting.A turret will not turn out round like a progresive press will.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I pulled the trigger on a 550B today and I hope to be able to give you some good results within the next 2 weeks. I had been thinking about reloading for some years now and the prices have gotten me to take the plunge. Now I have to build my bench this week.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Lee presses are made in Hartford, WI. Some of the steel used in their parts is foreign steel. I used to work in a steel mill in Green Bay that supplied parts to Lee Precision. Most of the steel came from either Canada or Germany.

Other than the raw steel supply, Lee is an American product.

Dillon is made in AZ.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
it's great to hear lee and dillon are Made in the USA. i wonder why they don't advertise it more?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Word-of-mouth recommendation is the best advertising. Read what's said about Dillon here and You will know, why they don't have to spend more money for advertising.

I never heard about a press that is not assembled in the US. But You will never know where the parts or raw materials are from.

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
Bottom line...
Buy the Dillon, I've had one or another for 20 years.
If you buy the Lee you will have to ask someone else for help fixing it.
You'll end up with a Dillon eventually.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I have about 10,000 rounds through a Lee Pro 1000 (one of their cheapest presses). And I would challenge you to find any difference between the ammo that comes off of a Dillon 550B and the Lee. I think for the price I paid it was a smoking deal. And it was made in the USA.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts