1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By forward cant, I mean muzzle to the rear. It seems I got a forward cant delivered by mistake, when I had ordered a vertical. I'm wondering on the implications. I always thought vertical was faster.

Using the canted holster, I kind of feel like the gun is coming up and forward to my chest to meet my weak hand, and I'm thinking that might be good. You still have to turn the gun more to get it on target, which is bad.

With the vertical holsters, the gun is easy to grab, which is good, and has to be turned less to get on target, which is also good, but it has to be moved more to meet the weak hand, which is bad.

What do you all think, and why?

Many thanks,

·
Registered
769 Posts
Holster cants are a personal preference. There's no better or worse in a 5 degree vs vertical IMO. For me I started shooting using a 5 degree (FBI cant) and ended up moving towards a vertical drop. The real difference is in concealability as the FBI cant keeps the butt of the gun higher and closer to your body than a vertical does.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,282 Posts
In general, as the gun moves further around your body, the more cant you need for a smooth draw. I can't conceal anything that is as far forward as IDPA allows, and a forward-mounted straight drop doesn't really work for me anyway, so all my carry/IDPA holsters are canted muzzle-rearward. Your torso and arm length will also be determining factors. Muzzle to the front isn't legal, and the next interation of the rulebook will ban holsters that CAN be adjusted with the muzzle forward.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Right; I am talking as far forward as IDPA allows. I imagine I'd want a forward cant if I wore the holster further back and wasn't a gaming ******.

I suppose we could complicate the discussion by comparing the draw speeds of a given canted holster as we position it further back around the body. But I'd still want to compare that data with a vertical holster postitioned as far forward as rules allow.

Edited for you know what. I think they can figure it out. JF

·
Registered
220 Posts
Muzzle rearward

When I started in IDPA it was an unwritten suggestion that you try to have a straight drop holster for safety reasons. I guess the concern was that, even though there is not supposed to be anyone behind the shooter, if the shooter had a rearward (FBI 15deg) holster, and in the event the shooter was an ass and had thier finger on the trigger while drawing, a bystander could be shot. Never the less, I see 15 degree holsters as well as 5 degree, which is fine with me as I do not stand behind shooters on the line. I have owned a few and I think they are faster as the gun can be brought forward faster. But I agree again with others whom say its a personal thing. If your holster is 5 deg, its not so much to really notice any huge difference.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My apologies; didn't know that word was outside of our high level of decorum (and I like to be quick to call myself a gamer before somebody else does.)
Of course, it makes plenty of sense in hind sight.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
With a st. drop holster you can lock your wrist as soon
as you get a grip on the gun. Also it requires no time-wasting
upper torso movement, etc.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,282 Posts
White Spider - You meant to say that you can lock your wrist, not I can lock my wrist, right?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't notice any difference either way as for speed of draw. I like the small cant because my hand lands on the grip of my pistol better for me. If I was ordering one I'd get the 5 degree cant.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
RickB said:
White Spider - You meant to say that you can lock your wrist, not I can lock my wrist, right?
Yes, I meant that the wrist can be locked as soon as you grip the pistol in the holster. This is assuming the elbow is tucked in so the forearm is more or less parallel to the torso.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts