·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Jim,
I just got an eMail from your shop;

"First off, we do not do the 1-1/2" groups or 9X23 caliber on
any of the stainless steel pistols"
This was the same answer I got about doing a 1911 in 400 Cor-Bon about a year ago.

Now why is this? Do the Stainless Steel Frames then to "Crack" after awhile from the heavyer recoil of the 9x23 and 400?

I have seen a Ed Brown "Bobtail" in 400 build on a SS Les Baer Frame, but this was a NEW Pistol and never fired.

[This message has been edited by Frank Sottile (edited 06-11-2001).]

·
Registered
359 Posts
Frank , We don't do 1-1/2 groups on any stainless guns in any caliber.If you want 1-1/2 groups in any caliber it has to be aa carbon steel gun.As a matter of fact we did a 40s&w and a 10mm. in 1-1/2 group just the other day.If you want a silver colored gun you could have it hard chromed.

------------------
Jim Budde

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, the question was more about the metal. I understand that Stainless is a bit harder to work with, but does it hold up to the "HOT" calibers?

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Jim,

I assume that 10mm was my Heavyweight Monolith. (To be sent to Houston, TX) How did it do on and can you offer any comments about it. I am waiting for the check to clear so you all can ship it to my dealer.

Thanks

------------------
10mm and 357 Sig; the best things since the 38 Super!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Don't want to speak out of turn here, but Les told me the reason they do not do the 1 1/2" guarantee on stainless is because it galls.
As he explained: The more you rub 2 pieces of steel together, the more slippery it gets. Therefore, they can make these guns tighter than stainless.

Also, note they do not do the 1 1/2" on 4" guns either.

I have a 5" stainless Concept V and really like it. It is very accurate. NEVER, EVER had a problem. However, if I could do it over, I'd get a hard chromed 5" Premier II with the 1 1/2" guarantee. Why? Cause stainless will rust!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Bud,
Yes Stainless Steel Slides on Stainless Steel Frames do then to Gall, but I have also heard of a VERY TIGHT fitted Carbon Steel Slide on a Stainless Steel Frame (Two Tone) also "Galling." I have NOT heard this of Carbon Steel on Carbon Steel (all Blue)

If I can order a Two Tone 1911 with a Carbon Steel Slide and Stainless Steel Frame in 9x23mm or 400 Cor-Bon From Ed Brown, Dane Burns and a few others. Why does Les refuse to build them, if the market is there?

I understand that Stainless is harder to work with and harder on the tools, Ed Brown (whom used to use Les' Frames and Slides) charges $100 more for the Stainless Frame on his 1911s.

When asked if Stainless Frames do NOT hold up to the HARDER Recoil of the 9x23mm and the 400 Cor-Bon? Some Gunsmiths told me that there was NO problems, and the SS Frames do indeed hold up.

[This message has been edited by Frank Sottile (edited 07-06-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts