1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who are fans of the older “frying pan finish” that used to be found on glocks, the Beretta APX has this finish. I have a few older gen 3 glocks with this finish and the finish on the APX slide is nearly identical.

Edit: Most of the APX line can currently be found for around 330 bucks, sometimes a little lower if you look around.

·
Super Moderator
71,876 Posts
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind the next time I prepare dinner.

;)

Seriously, I own a G19 with the fabled "frying pan finish" and still can't understand what all the excitement is about.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I think it was called tenefer (spelling?) & is as durable as all get out. I carried one on duty for four years & the finish is still not worn.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

;)

Seriously, I own a G19 with the fabled "frying pan finish" and still can't understand what all the excitement is about.
I admit, I’m one of those guys. I always peruse used glock sections for them and if there’s any that are a reasonable price I usually buy them. I don’t have a problem with any of the finishes glock has used, save for the PVD that everyone seems to have gone to recently, but there’s just something about that frying pan finish. Mojo perhaps.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have 2 G19 Gen 3’s. One has the Frying Pan Finish and it has a slicker feel yet a more porous look to it if that makes sense. If you rub say a brass case on it will not leave a mark. The other G19 has a finer grain finish however it is more easily marked with other objects.
I like both of them but believe the FPF one is more durable.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I think it was called tenefer (spelling?) & is as durable as all get out. I carried one on duty for four years & the finish is still not worn.
No, Tenifer is metal treatment, not the finish.

·
Super Moderator
71,876 Posts
The early Glocks has a matte finish over the Tenifer that was fairly durable but would eventually show holster wear. The "frying pan finish" got its name from the fact that it looks like a black Teflon frying pan finish... a jet black color with a satin sheen and a slight orange peel texture to it. The good thing about it is that it's nearly impossible to scratch it or put holster wear on it. The bad thing about it is that it's really slick, especially when there's a film of oil on it. The cocking serrations on a Glock slide are already too shallow, meaning my G19 can be hard to rack sometimes. The FP finish soon gave way to a Melonite treatment underneath and a more satin-grey finish on top that scratched very easily and became one of the least popular. The current PVD finish looks similar but appears much more durable.

In the end though, they're all just Glock finishes which means they're ugly as sin yet are nearly impervious to rust and corrosion. So far I haven't seen a finish on any competitor's weapon that is as scratch and rust-resistant, even though many of them look better to the eyes.

·
Registered
508 Posts

;)

The chalk board finish is easily scratched.
Those of us who like to keep our glocks un-molested for value retention can appreciate the frying pan

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Easily scratched is the most common thing people bitch about when it comes to the gen 4 “chalkboard” glocks. They certainly do scratch easier than the frying pan ones but most of those scratches rub right off without even using any oil. I don’t know if people realize that. I carried a chalkboard g19 daily for 3 years and admittedly dropped it once or twice on concrete. The only permanent scratches it has are on the top right corner of the rear of the slide. I have yet to see rust on a chalkboard Glock, can’t say the same for the FPs.

On the other hand, yep that frying pan finish is slick. That YouTube gun dork that likes to dunk guns in bins of mud and other crap was whining about that on the APX.

We all do like to nitpick, nothing will ever be perfect.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Easily scratched is the most common thing people bitch about when it comes to the gen 4 “chalkboard” glocks. They certainly do scratch easier than the frying pan ones but most of those scratches rub right off without even using any oil. I don’t know if people realize that. I carried a chalkboard g19 daily for 3 years and admittedly dropped it once or twice on concrete. The only permanent scratches it has are on the top right corner of the rear of the slide. I have yet to see rust on a chalkboard Glock, can’t say the same for the FPs.

On the other hand, yep that frying pan finish is slick. That YouTube gun dork that likes to dunk guns in bins of mud and other crap was whining about that on the APX.

We all do like to nitpick, nothing will ever be perfect.
Don't mind the scratches but I agree with the YouTube guy you are talking about, though I don't know who that is, in that despite the fugly nubs the APX is relatively hard to rack when wet or oiled, the slide stop works just fine for reloads and is nice and large for easy use. So it's fine by me. The extra wide slide from the serrations is what bugs me, if the APX had kept the slide narrow as a Glock 19 (mine is nearly as wide as a Glock 21) id like mine a bit more. Still a very good gun though (and a crazy deal at the $350 they go for now!).

The bad thing about it is that it's really slick, especially when there's a film of oil on it. The cocking serrations on a Glock slide are already too shallow, meaning my G19 can be hard to rack sometimes.
The Gen 5 finish is very tough but slicker than snot, glad I got a MOS because they really need those front serrations even on a standard overhand if it's wet or oiled.

Too bad they didn't stick with the 19x finish, just as durable and tacky even when wet or oiled, easily my favorite Glock finish, possibly my favorite finish period, if not my favorite color.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't mind the scratches but I agree with the YouTube guy you are talking about, though I don't know who that is, in that despite the fugly nubs the APX is relatively hard to rack when wet or oiled, the slide stop works just fine for reloads and is nice and large for easy use. So it's fine by me. The extra wide slide from the serrations is what bugs me, if the APX had kept the slide narrow as a Glock 19 (mine is nearly as wide as a Glock 21) id like mine a bit more. Still a very good gun though (and a crazy deal at the $350 they go for now!).

The Gen 5 finish is very tough but slicker than snot, glad I got a MOS because they really need those front serrations even on a standard overhand if it's wet or oiled.

Too bad they didn't stick with the 19x finish, just as durable and tacky even when wet or oiled, easily my favorite Glock finish, possibly my favorite finish period, if not my favorite color.

I don’t disagree that it’s slick, and what an odd way to shape a slide on Beretta’s part. I still like the finish, it’s tough and I like the look and texture despite being slippery when wet. They are not bad pistols and are certainly a bargain right now. I paid less than 300 for my APX centurion.

About PVD, we’ll see what your opinion is a ways down the road. I hate PVD.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Truth. When I went through the Glock armorer course many years ago, our instructor stated that the Tenifer finish tested at 64 on the Rockwell scale. Only 6 below diamond at 70. He also told us he was dismayed as to why some Glock owners would send their guns to companies like Robar to get the NP3 treatment done as it was inferior and would destroy the tenifer finish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts