1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The search is over! Ed Brown now makes machined barstock arched serrated MSH in stainless or blued!

I bought mine and here it is:

I thought I'd like to share because quality arched MSH are indeed hard to find nowadays, let along a serrated one! I think it looks a lot better than cast or MIM, featuring accurate and clean cuts, and being barstock, it's going to last a heck of a lot longer!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Thanks, darkest. It looked like 7 ribs, but I was not sure, sometimes my eyes deceive me.

WJR

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Is that a new product from Ed Brown, or was it just under my radar?

I've bought a couple of crappy stainless arched serrated mainspring housings, because I couldn't find a good one.
I know I checked them before.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ranger said:

I've bought a couple of crappy stainless arched serrated mainspring housings, because I couldn't find a good one.
I know I checked them before.
Yes I believe they just recently added those arched MSHs on their catalogue, I know they don't have it before.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I wonder if Ed Brown is the vendor for these metal MSH's to Colt on their Series 70 in blue and now SS?? They are all now coming in with metal arched I'm told, or at least they are supposed to be rid of the flat plastic ones.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
230grfmj said:
I wonder if Ed Brown is the vendor for these metal MSH's to Colt on their Series 70 in blue and now SS?? They are all now coming in with metal arched I'm told, or at least they are supposed to be rid of the flat plastic ones.
from what I understand the machined MSH that comes with Colts reissued S70 are made by Colt's own custom shop, but who knows...

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
I agree, Devil! The arched MSH on my new stainless 70 certainly isn't machined steel. It's so poorly cast (porous) that the plastic ones looked better. That Ed Brown looks nice! When's the photo thread of your new baby coming out?

·
Registered
674 Posts
ranger said:
Definitely new item. I was looking for one a couple of weeks ago and checked Wilson and Brown both. Neither had one. Yesterday I checked and saw the very one in this thread.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks for posting about this new MSH. I'll be getting one of these to replace my Smith & Alexander checkered MSH. IMO the lengthwise serrated MSH has the best feel. I think it is John Masen who makes the other serrated MSH (and I've heard they are very low quality).

J

·
Registered
579 Posts
AZ Husker said:
I agree, Devil! The arched MSH on my new stainless 70 certainly isn't machined steel. It's so poorly cast (porous) that the plastic ones looked better. That Ed Brown looks nice! When's the photo thread of your new baby coming out?
I'll post pics up tonite.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Aside from a few guns that escaped with flat plastic housings, the 1991A1 the new 1911 the stainless O1070A1CS and the carbon O1970A1CS all have machined from stock MSH, not MIM, not cast.
The Ed Brown one looks great, yet another manufacturer has stepped up to fill a void we can't seem to get our arms around. There are some machined parts in house that can be purchased from Colt, although it may be quicker to get the Ed Brown, our system is not always the fastest :rolleyes:

Carbon arched serrated SP50161 zero in spares inventory, 14 in the production inventory, probably not a good bet until we get more in.

Stainless arched serrated SP57201 zero in spares inventory, 328 in production inventory.

Carbon arched serrated with lanyard loop, SP55871P zero in spare inventory, 1804 on in the green in production inventory. The P stands for parkerized, an SP part number is not currently set up for this in blue finish but can be easily done. Since we no longer make a gun that uses this housing all but a few should be moved to spares and a blued part number established.

If you decide to call customer service and inquire, please ask them to get on me as I try and finally resolve this.

·
Banned
4,135 Posts
Ahhhh... the arched serrated MSH is my personal favorite! I have a couple of Masen versions which have been great for me, but the Brown is undoubtedly of great quality. I do nee a few blue versions to replace the plastique versions I have in a few of my Colts. Not that the Colt plastic ones don't work well, they certainly do, and they are comfortable on the palm, but it is nice to have steel. I'll take a short, solid, metal trigger and an arched, serrated, steel MSH on a 1911 and be a totally happy camper every time! Lucky for those of us who love them that the Brown, and soon, the Colt arched serrated MSH's are being produced.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts