1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had no less than 20 1911's in the past 3 years and currently am holding a Remington R1 Enhanced Threaded and a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special. I'm looking to trade up on some guns and then thin the herd of superfluous items, going down to about half of my current collection size.

So if we eliminate EVERYTHING Kimber makes, and all options under $1k street (Sig, Remington, Magnum Research, Ruger, etc) and we make the requirement list as follows, what options would you nominate?

5" Government
Factory threaded match barrel
High night sights
Dust cover Picatinny rail
.45ACP
Single stack
Aggressive checkering to use with gloves (20LPI, nothing above 25) front strap and mainspring
Either magwell beveled for funnel or an actual magwell

For instance, I'm looking at an STI Tactical SS 5.0 TR. Price needs to be sub $2500 new, street priced. Any assistance appreciated!

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
1) get a springfield operator full rail or half, whichever you prefer.
2) Have your favorite smith fit a threaded barrel and taller sights if you need them.

3) Enjoy

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
Honestly......with those requirements....

I'd buy a Colt S70 and send it to Alchemy with your list of requirements.

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
At OVER $1k (and with no celling listed) the sky is the limit. Wilson will 'build to suit', any of the custom 1911 gunsmiths can deliver a Burger King gun- just the way you want it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's unfortunate; you're foregoing some very good, viable options.

I regard Colt with high esteem, from afar and wishing that they were now what they once were. I enjoy their classics. I find no value in their current production guns in which they never innovate nor compete in the market space they inhabit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At OVER $1k (and with no celling listed) the sky is the limit. Wilson will 'build to suit', any of the custom 1911 gunsmiths can deliver a Burger King gun- just the way you want it.
Ceiling of $2500 listed. I have called Les Baer. They won't do a threaded setup because they don't use frames that support a bull barrel configuration, and threading their match barrels would make the walls too thin to adhere to their quality standards.

·
Registered
833 Posts
So if we eliminate EVERYTHING Kimber makes, and all options under $1k street (Sig, Remington, Magnum Research, Ruger, etc) and we make the requirement list as follows, what options would you nominate?

5" Government
Factory threaded match barrel
High night sights
Dust cover Picatinny rail
.45ACP
Single stack
Aggressive checkering to use with gloves (20LPI, nothing above 25) front strap and mainspring
Either magwell beveled for funnel or an actual magwell

For instance, I'm looking at an STI Tactical SS 5.0 TR. Price needs to be sub $2500 new, street priced. Any assistance appreciated!
You, my friend, already have the answer....

I've got a 10MM Tactical SS 5.0 sans threaded barrel. You don't need to look any further than you have.

I have a 45acp Tactical SS 5.0 on the way. Again without the threaded barrel. No supressors allowed in Delaware unfortunately.

Anyone can put their hands on a Ruger, Sig, Colt, Kimber, S&W 1911 at the local gun shop. Many have never held (nor shot) an STI. There's a difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
alright. now...is there a serpa2 that works with it? i run a drop-leg rig (thigh rig) for my shoots. that massive rail is likely going to be an issue

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
I regard Colt with high esteem, from afar and wishing that they were now what they once were. I enjoy their classics. I find no value in their current production guns in which they never innovate nor compete in the market space they inhabit.
So buy an older s70. You'll still end up with exactly what you want and probably right at or under your $2500 target.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
My bad. I missed that you had to have a rail.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts