1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up with the formatting in the gunsmith forum?
It's about 30 characters too wide!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
G2,
I think you might have a bug in puter. Hopefully not a virus. The format looks fine on this machine, my laptop, and the MAC downstairs. I believe this is the second time you had this problem.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hey Son....I have the same problem at my work computor that is a 17 inch screen....at home on my 19 inch screen everything looks fine...I run current virus updates at work, and everything else is fine on my work computor.

any ideas?

PS...this only happens in the gunsmith forum

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Hi, I'm having the same problem too, right now. It's annoying to move the mouse back and forth
. Can anybody try these 2 topics from the gunsmithing column? Please let me know if you're having this same problem.

- The Grace of Great Things
- My Spin on Magazines

Thanks so much

[This message has been edited by Wit (edited 02-23-2001).]

·
Registered
115 Posts
I just used Netscape Navigator 6.01 to access the forum and experienced the screwy formatting that gyp_c described.

I went into the Legal & Political News forum and found that the entire screen did not show up as it does with Internet Explorer. I'm not as web savvy as most, so I don't know what could be causing the problem.

------------------
Bill the Cat

·
Registered
489 Posts
I am using Netscape 4.7 on my computor at home, and at work. This is a problem that just surfaced recently when viewing from my work computor, and....it only happens on the above listed forums....all the rest of them look normal.... I just checked from my home computor and everything looks fine from here.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Hi, I'm using IE 5.50. Only 2 topics mentioned earlier have problem, so far.

BTW, is there any tool in our browser that limits the size of the line displayed? Thks.

[This message has been edited by Wit (edited 02-24-2001).]

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'm having that problem with this thread: http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/001189.html It has pictures but all the other threads with pictures display fine. My primary browser is Opera 5.02 but this funky extra width problem also happens when I use Netscape Communicator 4.76. There are no features in Opera or Netscape to limit page width (or "word wrap" or whatever you'd call it. I think it's a function of the HTML code.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Those pages all look fine. I suggest you upgrade your browswer to Netscape 6 or IE 5.5

fwiw
I use IE 5.5 but the new Netscape is VERY nice.

[This message has been edited by ArmySon (edited 03-04-2001).]

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
IE 5.5 is a typical Micro$oft crash-prone browser that brings down the entire OS when it crashes. There is no Netscape 5.0, it's 6.0 and it's still a very buggy browser that, in the opinion of most people that do this computer stuff for a living, should still be in Beta testing and not in release. It's a very porcine browser, admittedly based on a fairly fast rendering engine (Mozilla 0.6 or 0.7) but loaded up by AOL, the new owners of Netscape Communications, with lots of useless features that do nothing to speed up, or make browsing more reliable. Plus, the funky forum pages still look funky in NS 6.0 anyway-I'm running it on a test system on one of my other computers.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
One box is 1400x1050, one is 1024x768, and the last is 800x600. Remember, for me at least, this display problem only exists on a (very) few pages in the Gunsmithing forum. It's not a particularly big deal but something's wrong with the bad pages. The 3 browsers that I've tried all use different ways of handling code. Opera's the most standards compliant, IE next and Netscape's the worst of these three. Yet they all render the (problem) pages the same way!?!? Doesn't seem like a browser or screen resolution problem to me because this display problem transcends multiple browsers and multiple settinsgs. Oh well.........

[This message has been edited by Black_Talon (edited 03-04-2001).]

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Hi, definitely it has something to do with the way our machine displays the (large) picture. I don't have the problem with the tread that Black_Talon mentioned and I use IE 5.5. So any PC software engineer would like to work the bugs for us? Thks.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I'm at a loss for words. I've tried 8 different computers and all the pages look fine. If I could see the problem, a solution would be much easier. I'll check with the other admins to see if they have an answer.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Guys,
Think I'm on to something. I can view the 1911 cult thread just fine with both Netscape 4.08 and IE 5.01 SP1. However, I played around with the source code that thread was generating and now I see this:
http://www.1911forum.com/gunsmith_forum.html

It seems Desert Dogs images are natively huge. Some browsers are restricting the size of the images, others are rendering the entire image in full size. DD's images are HUGE and you will see excessive scrolling on your browswer if the full size is rendered.

So, it's not a problem with anyones browser or the forum software, just a few large images

Jason

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Hi guys. Thank you for trying to fix the problem for us.

Jason, I did not have any problem with the tread '1911 cult' at all, so I don't know what I should expect with the link you provided (it displays good for me.)

In the 2 treads that I have problem, the pitures posted are smaller than Desert Dog's. If you are not busy, could you play with the source code of 'My Spin on Magazines' and 'The Grace of Great Thing'?

My Control Panel-> Setting->Displays is set with:
-True color (32 bits)
-Screen area 800x600 pixel.

When I change the screen area to a larger number (e.g. 1024x768) everything looks fine. However the characters are too small to read comfortably.

If there still is no solution, I'll stop bugging you guys for good
. Again, I really appreciate your help. Thks.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
It's not the forum software. Jason sent me the .htm file locally and I saw the problem you guys are experiencing. Desert Dog posted an image that is HUGE. It's 1600x1200 which is obviously larger then almost everybody's resolution.

Those of us that are not experiencing the problem have browswers that compresses the image (Green Ghost picture) down to 640x494.

For those of you running Internet Explorer, I suggest upgrading to ver. 5.50.4522.1800.

The problem also occurs with Netscape 6.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts