1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods,

I realize this topic isn't directly related to Wilson Combat products so feel free to move the thread wherever you see fit.

Fellas,

Over the last few days I've been having trouble typing smoothly when replying to threads on the forum. Sometimes I hit a key and the letter simply doesn't appear. Scrolling isn't smooth either in some cases. In case you haven't noticed there are now full motion video ads at the bottom of the screen just above the usual banner ads. The new video ads are stealing so many clock cycles from my CPU that my screen is having trouble updating when typing and scrolling. Now in case you’re wondering I'm not using a "lightweight" computer by any means, it's a Dell XPS Desktop with a Dual Core 2.5 GHz processor and dedicated Nvidia 256 MB video card. It's certainly not the latest hardware anymore but it's far from ancient.

I am hoping this message gets to the appropriate decision maker who will remove these video ads. I understand the need to pay the bills and even generate a profit but there's no need for full motion video to appear at the bottom of every single page. It detracts from the smooth forum experience that we've all become accustomed to.

In the meantime there's a temporary fix that I will share with you. Press F1 (which brings up the help function) while in your browser and search for "manage add-ons". This feature is located in a different spot depending on which browser and which version you are running which is why I suggest you search for it. When you get to the manage add-ons page disable the Shockwave Flash Object. This will prevent the video from playing and you'll be back to the smooth forum experience that you had before these annoying video ads appeared.

If you are running an Apple iOS device you don't have to worry about any of the above since iOS won't run Flash.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Mods,

I realize this topic isn't directly related to Wilson Combat products so feel free to move the thread wherever you see fit.

Fellas,

Over the last few days I've been having trouble typing smoothly when replying to threads on the forum. Sometimes I hit a key and the letter simply doesn't appear. Scrolling isn't smooth either in some cases. In case you haven't noticed there are now full motion video ads at the bottom of the screen just above the usual banner ads. The new video ads are stealing so many clock cycles from my CPU that my screen is having trouble updating when typing and scrolling. Now in case you’re wondering I'm not using a "lightweight" computer by any means, it's a Dell XPS Desktop with a Dual Core 2.5 GHz processor and dedicated Nvidia 256 MB video card. It's certainly not the latest hardware anymore but it's far from ancient.

I am hoping this message gets to the appropriate decision maker who will remove these video ads. I understand the need to pay the bills and even generate a profit but there's no need for full motion video to appear at the bottom of every single page. It detracts from the smooth forum experience that we've all become accustomed to.

In the meantime there's a temporary fix that I will share with you. Press F1 (which brings up the help function) while in your browser and search for "manage add-ons". This feature is located in a different spot depending on which browser and which version you are running which is why I suggest you search for it. When you get to the manage add-ons page disable the Shockwave Flash Object. This will prevent the video from playing and you'll be back to the smooth forum experience that you had before these annoying video ads appeared.

If you are running an Apple iOS device you don't have to worry about any of the above since iOS won't run Flash.
Did not work. Other threads have warned about viruses and malware. I'm GONE until this is worked out.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
The quality of this forum is being sacrificed for video adds at the bottom of the page that are not firearm related and nobody watches.
Is that really neccesary? Profits at any cost?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
None of the suggestions offered here have helped me. The site has been very S-L-O-W to load for the past few weeks. All other websites open immediately.....this one takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R to load. I'm running latest version of Firefox with Windows 7. I get the same results on 3 different computers. I tried disabling Shockwave Flash and installed Adblock Plus with no improvement. Something has definitely changed......for the bad......on this website. Wish I had some good suggestions how to make it better. It's close to unusable here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts