1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Relatively new member here, but before I get launched into the stratosphere for asking about this issue, let me just say for the record….

I’m left-handed. 1911s are not my friend in terms of fire ability, and I have had to adapt like crazy in order to shoot them well. With Cabot Southpaw being an exception, I have not been able to locate or have built a custom 1911, the way I like it, for a lefty shooter.

One of those areas of concern for me is inserting the new mag, and dropping the slide stop. It got me to thinking: I have a CZ P-10C that has a feature of the forward-assist. Slam the mag home, the slide drops automatically and you’re good to go.

My question/comment is, can this be done for a 1911? SHOULD this be done for a 1911? I have heard many a few on this forum tell me that it’s a defect to be fixed rather than a feature to be coveted.

So to recap, is this a thing that can be done? And if so, is this bad? If so, why?

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
simplify
376 Posts
I know an ambi mag release was made at one time but slide slamming home without me dropping the slide is scary. It is a safety measure like the thumb safety it keeps cavalry from shooting there own horse in the back of the head.

·
Registered
128 Posts
You could weld a small weight to an extended slide stop. That would drop the slide with a good smack if worn in. I wouldn't use it off the range like that though.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hello Reverend. Welcome

Forward assist on a 1911? You probably caused a knee jerk "what the heck?" reaction to all the AR-15 users out here. Best click bait thread title in a long time, I congratulate you sir... well played :)

Your questions;
Can it be done? Probably, but most gunsmiths might be a bit leery of "building in a defect".
Should it be done? IMO, no. Weapons have moving parts that should only move when the proper manual operation just happened.

If I was a lefty, I don't think I'd choose the 1911... it's perfect for a right handed shooter but as you've found out, for a lefty it might not be your best bet anymore, the last 110 years have produced a few lefty-friendly pistols... like that CZ

But if you're really interested in it, Google "shooting a 1911 left handed" to see some advice, check these two links for starters...

Ayoob: Can You Shoot Your 1911 Backwards? | The Armory Life

Left Handed Manipulation of a 1911

Good luck

·
Premium Member
11,805 Posts
I'm a hard corps lefty and I've been owning/using/carrying a 1911 since 1964. It is a little awkward in the beginning, but I learned to use it to my adavantage. The only lefty specific thing that I require is a GOOD ambi safety. Otherwise I drop the mag with my trigger finger, then drop the slide with the same finger. The latter could be easily replaced with the modern technique of slingshotting the slide.

Many years ago MS Safari Arms offered an ambi slide release for the 1911. As I recall they were a bit fragile and did not last long in the market due to that and low demand. Somewhat later there was an ambi mag catch offered by another vendor (S&A maybe?). I installed a couple for some friends who just had to have them and they seemed to work fine. I never pursued that for myself.

·
Registered
8,583 Posts
I think BBBill's comments are spot on! A good ambi safety is essential for a lefty, and an ambi mag release might be a little faster when dropping a magazine.....Cylinder & Slide and Mitchel Gunworks both make an ambi mag release. However, an ambi mag release is not really needed, but might be faster when using the left hand thumb as soon as the slide moves to lock back. For releasing the slide, I would recommend a flat paddle extended slide stop, and adjust the length as needed if you think it is too long......

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am a righty but buy regularly left hand and two hand shoot my 1911s. Oversized controls are your friend when left handed shooting. Dexterity is a must. My middle finger hits the mag release and index finger drops the slide. I’d look into some oversized controls before I’d do what you’re talking about. It’s different than my right hand operation but not difficult with good controls. Ambidextrous safety is a must though. It’s the only control I can’t hit without readjusting my grip. It’s just my opinion and what works for me may not work for you.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I'm a Lefty and have been carrying 1911's for 35 years.
I don't even use a Ambi safety. The right side levers can be frail and start to wiggle.
I do use a extended thumb safety as I need the length.
So my left hand thumb kicks the safety on and off.
My left hand trigger finger also works the slide stop.
And last my second finger next to my trigger finger works the mag release.
After doing it for this long the fingers pretty much go where they need to without thinking.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,526 Posts
"It got me to thinking: I have a CZ P-10C that has a feature of the forward-assist. Slam the mag home, the slide drops automatically and you’re good to go."

I officiated at an IDPA match a couple of weeks ago, saw 150+ shooters through my stage, and on at least four occasions, when the slide dropped automatically, no round was picked up; not a "feature" I'd want, or want to depend on.

·
Premium Member
5,914 Posts
Hey Guys,

Relatively new member here, but before I get launched into the stratosphere for asking about this issue, let me just say for the record….

I’m left-handed. 1911s are not my friend in terms of fire ability, and I have had to adapt like crazy in order to shoot them well. With Cabot Southpaw being an exception, I have not been able to locate or have built a custom 1911, the way I like it, for a lefty shooter.

One of those areas of concern for me is inserting the new mag, and dropping the slide stop. It got me to thinking: I have a CZ P-10C that has a feature of the forward-assist. Slam the mag home, the slide drops automatically and you’re good to go.

My question/comment is, can this be done for a 1911? SHOULD this be done for a 1911? I have heard many a few on this forum tell me that it’s a defect to be fixed rather than a feature to be coveted.

So to recap, is this a thing that can be done? And if so, is this bad? If so, why?

Thanks folks.
Disclaimer: not left-handed. However, as indicated in my signature, am an ambidextrous pistol shooter. The m1911 hasn't given me any unexpected issues shooting left-handed ... ahhh! except this:

So as an aside, I'll recommend chamfering the right-hand slide-stop hole and shortening the pin. Perhaps unnecessary if your thumbs are much: longer / shorter than are mine.

As to dropping the slide: competition and self-defense oriented instructors have always taught me not to use the slide-stop lever anyway. Clamping fingers and palm (NOT thumb) over the top of the slide, draw back, release. This because it works with virtually all semi-auto pistols and as a learned-reflex, does not require even knowing where is the lever.

My magazine releases are installed for the right-hand (left side). If I were left-handed, or wanted to go all The Shadow, my left-hand 1911 would have a left-handed magazine release. The pistol itself doesn't preclude a left-hand mag release, at least I've seen such being sold (haven't bought nor tried one).

My 1911 carry guns mostly have an ambidextrous thumb-safety.

Doesn't take much to adapt the 1911 to the left.

HtH

·
Registered
115 Posts
Before retiring I was the handgun instructor for a large city police department's SWAT unit. I would regularly seeing reloads where the slide went into battery when the mag was inserted. I would estimate that 90 percent of the time the gun loaded correctly.

But if I were to hand you a gun as you were going into a gunfight, and I told you that I was 90% certain that it was loaded, would you be OK with that?

The majority of times you would be good to go. But 1 in 10 times you would hear very loud click when you expected a bang, unless you did a press check, but who does that? ;)

·
Premium Member
5,914 Posts
Before retiring I was the handgun instructor for a large city police department's SWAT unit. I would regularly seeing reloads where the slide went into battery when the mag was inserted. I would estimate that 90 percent of the time the gun loaded correctly.

But if I were to hand you a gun as you were going into a gunfight, and I told you that I was 90% certain that it was loaded, would you be OK with that?

The majority of times you would be good to go. But 1 in 10 times you would hear very loud click when you expected a bang, unless you did a press check, but who does that? ;)
W-e-l-l ... I do. Taught never to take anybody's assertion, not my own, about loaded / unloaded state of the chamber of a firearm in hand.

Reactions: dldarrow

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello Reverend. Welcome

Forward assist on a 1911? You probably caused a knee jerk "what the heck?" reaction to all the AR-15 users out here. Best click bait thread title in a long time, I congratulate you sir... well played :)

Your questions;
Can it be done? Probably, but most gunsmiths might be a bit leery of "building in a defect".
Should it be done? IMO, no. Weapons have moving parts that should only move when the proper manual operation just happened.

If I was a lefty, I don't think I'd choose the 1911... it's perfect for a right handed shooter but as you've found out, for a lefty it might not be your best bet anymore, the last 110 years have produced a few lefty-friendly pistols... like that CZ

But if you're really interested in it, Google "shooting a 1911 left handed" to see some advice, check these two links for starters...

Ayoob: Can You Shoot Your 1911 Backwards? | The Armory Life

Left Handed Manipulation of a 1911

Good luck
Well thank you for that reply, Blue Glow. Although I'm not exactly sure what clickbait even is, a short Google search tells me that was 1,000% not my intention. I don't care how many clicks I get on anything. I'm here to learn. So, awesome sauce all around.

I have been taking active interest and development to shoot ambi. Big goal of mine to get the best I possibly can with either hand. Perhaps I'll end up just switching to right-hand for all 1911 uses anyway, who knows.

I'll check out those videos now. I really appreciate you pointing them out to me, brother. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
11,805 Posts
...I don't even use a Ambi safety. The right side levers can be frail and start to wiggle...
That's why I said GOOD ambi safety. And there are some good dependable ones available.

How about an ambi slide stop saw one in a magazine many years ago.
Mentioned earlier. No longer available, at least not from a reputable manufacturer.

I check the loads on all my firearms daily and my carry gun before I go out the door.
(y) Religeously!

·
Banned
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I guess the answer here is to keep working on shooting with both hands. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
5,914 Posts
That's why I said GOOD ambi safety. And there are some good dependable ones available.
To nobody's surprise, Wilson Combat "Bullet-Proof", has worked very well. Each lever with a nice solid feel. Not that extravagant on many of my pistols ... but when ordering my latest DW "Valor", I failed to note the ambi-safety was missing from the specs and confirmed them (entirely my own fault due to how I wrote the order). That beautiful pistol is intended as a sidearm for hunting and definitely to be fully ambidextrous. So I got the WC ambi for it.

Usually, not much operating the safety, I've been happy with other ambis: for certain Kimber and Remington.
Air gun Trigger Wood Line Gun barrel

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Synchronicity: that is today.

This morning I was looking at Caspian's website. On a lark, I checked out the Foster frames [I am in CA: I CANNOT order a frame, so there was no reason].

I remember noting with surprise that they had a left-handed 1911 frame listed.

Just a thought...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts