1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Snow day, so I started working on fitting this Foster frame to an old Ace .22 kit. I'm planning to reuse most of the take-off parts from an old Lightweight Commander.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I did the exact same thing a few years ago. Even blued it myself in my drive way. I would post pics but don't know how now that photbucket deleted all my pics. Looks like your are going to have a sweet shooter. Keep posting updates.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks.

I'm hoping it works well. When I got the Ace, it was on a '43 USGI Colt and the .45 slide and barrel were separate. I couldn't see risking losing parts from a near complete GI 1911, so put them back together and have had the Ace sitting since.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,068 Posts
I bought an Auto-Ordnance frame kit for my conversion, about thirty years ago.
After inspecting and tossing half of the small parts and replacing them with Colt and G.I., I had a good shooter.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have an unused conversion unit in the box that appears identical to yours. And I have many, many old 1911 parts in a box. I've built 3 or 4 Caspian frame/slide pistols in the past--and they work fine.

Questions: Did you order a standard government Foster frame?
How much work did it take to mate the rails of the slide to the frame?
Did you think about ordering the frame with the integral plunger tube?

·
Registered
532 Posts
I made this Colt conversion on a Caspian frame. I have a much cooler one in the works now. It is a fun one to shoot once in awhile.

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Questions: Did you order a standard government Foster frame?
How much work did it take to mate the rails of the slide to the frame?
Did you think about ordering the frame with the integral plunger tube?
It's a standard, stainless Gov't frame.

It was surprisingly easy to mate the slide and frame. My previous experience is with Nighthawk slides and frames, which were really tight in tolerances. They didn't require much be taken off, but it was evenly distributed. I broke the edges of the frame rails top and bottom, beveled the front slightly, took a few strokes on the top of the dust cover, and a few passes of a #2 file over the top of the rails/deck and had about a 95% fit. I haven't dug out my lapping compound, yet.

I didn't consider the integral plunger tube because I just went with a frame they had on sale.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With some old, take off Colt parts added to see how they fit. Not sure about the Commander grip safety, but it may work for me.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked this project up yesterday and did a bit of filing on the frame for fitting. Still looks the same, so I didn't snap any photos.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts