1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there slab-side crew, could anyone do me a kind favour? I found this Union and Switch in the back of the safe at work - can anyone give me any information on it? We've never actually seen one of these down here in Cape Town, SA.
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory Composite material
Wood Screw Metal Close-up Auto part
Wood Material property Trigger Wood stain Bumper
Air gun Line Gun accessory Trigger Gun barrel

·
Registered
Vigilant Curmudgeon
48 Posts
A great old factory in Swissvale Pa. made mechanical & electrical parts for the Rairoad industry, Union Switch & Signal transferred a lot of production during WWII to making 1911 pistols & other small military contract items.
The 1911 ‘s … They are scarse, but not rare.

A lot of manufacturing plants made guns , Singer, Remington, & even Rock-O-La juke box co. made M-1 carbines.
I only saw one US&S stamped with the town Swissvale. 25 years ago.
My first job out of College was in Swissvale Pa.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
at top of page find forums button go through list and under manufactures you will find. 'usgi/foreign and other vintage 1911's' sorry i don't know how to do links. just so you know those guys will ask you to disassemble and take pictures of all the marks on all the pieces with marks. these are faked a lot, but guys like kkk and dsk will spot it right off if so.

·
Premium Member
7,277 Posts
More expert experts will be along. My typical contribution is to warn that these slides are not hardened. Typical life-span is ~6,000rds ... and that includes / is the partially hardened Remington-Rand slides. If fired, the slide will eventually crack.

Congratulations on a nice! looking pistol.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
It's refinished. Also has Springfield Arsenal rebulit marking and Ithaca hammer and thumb safety.

·
Premium Member
6,137 Posts
The old war horse shows its age. While its value as a collector's piece will be limited, it needs a very good, detailed, disassembly, and cleaning. I'm sure other members will be able to give you more information based upon the serial number range, but to tell what other internal pieces have been swapped during the rebuild we will need a couple photos of the barrel (out of the pistol), photographs of any markings on the barrel, and on the bottom of the slide. Disassemble it, clean it up, lubricate it, photograph it, and we'll see what we can discover.

Grumpy

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
It's a Union Switch and Signal manufactured in May/June 1943. The pistol was refurbished and refinished at Springfield Armory (SA) sometimes in its life. The slide stop and hammer are not original to the pistol.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Those plastic grips appear quite strange, the checkering pattern is not uniform as it should be. Some sort of odd reproduction or copy.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
It cries for a good cleaning and oiling, will you answer it's plea?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts