1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to the gunshow in tulsa oklahoma today. i surprised that there were not as many 1911 style guns as i am used to seeing.

i did find one colt that i had to keep walking back to though, its refinish, because its parked, has the arched mainspring. it looks like a 1911, as their are no cuts behind the trigger, and the pony was behind the cocking serations. the first three of the ser # was 601. i don't remember the other numbers. the latest patent date on the slide was feb 14th 1911.

the finish was wore, and the barrel was pretty rough inside. the hammer, slide lock and thumb saftey were checkered, and blued.

the price on the gun was 650, and although that may be a little high, if i had the cash i think i would have bought it, because this gun just dripped with history. (oh, it did have the prop of us stuff on it)

i would love to have been able to bring it home and clean it up.

any poss info about this gun would be great, cause it has kept my interest all day.

if money only grew on tree's!

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Administrator
75,445 Posts
It was either a US military arsenal rebuild, or somebody's garage attempt at one. I agree the price was a little steep given the condition.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Don't fret. You can find far better quality for a far better price at gunsamerica.com. I was just over that way and saw two US surplus guns in good condition for @500. The one actually had to be photographed on a towel because it was dripping history.

The bad thing about that particular website is that there are a lot of good deals on Colts. I have labeled it as 'dangerous territory' and try to stay away.

------------------
When reason fails...

·
Administrator
75,445 Posts
There's also the opposite kind on Guns America, too. There's been a very nice WW2 Colt on there that I've had my eye on, but the owner won't budge from his nearly $2,200 asking price. Thing is, it's been up for sale since last May or June. The guy obviously is in no hurry to sell it.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 08-19-2001).]

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, i will hopefully have some money saved up by the next big show in tulsa in oct. the show will be twice as big.

the only thing about gunsamerica that i never buy a gun without handling it, i may be old fashion (heck i'm only 28) but i like to field strip the gun or have the seller do it for me before i buy i gun, even if its new in the box. i can't bring myself to buy a gun without seeing it first. i know some guns will be perfectly fine, but i like to hold it and go over it first.

i'll wait until i have the money, and then go to a show.

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts