1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went back to the shop where I bought my first OACP and the stainless gun with the missing mag was still there. I offered $400 and the deal was accepted.:rock: My first OACP was NIB and a matte blue version, 1984 production. This is a later gun (not in Wilson) with some cosmetic blemishes, missing the magazine, and the white dot has been dug out of the front sight. It is wearing those Pachmyer wrap around neoprene grips that I don't like much. Why two? Because this is the coolest pistol I have seen in years. I wish I had discovered them when they were in production.

I have decided that for the first time in my life I will go to the dark side and customize this pistol. I first hit the Ed Brown site, but it says that they do no gunsmithing, but will install their own parts. Jimmy Clark's website has a good selection of options. Kings also will do this. On page 11 of their catalog they show a Kings Custom Comp Officers. Any one have one of those? They install a Smith & Wesson rear sight and I am wondering if anyone has had this done. Pics? Comments? What I would like to have done is relatively little:

Kings FLGR and Bushing or equivalent
Beavertail, no bump
Bevel mag well
sights (Novaks, perhaps)
Serrate or checker front strap.
Bead blast frame & slide - polish slide flats
Long trigger

Dave

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
I'm happy with mine with:

Ed Brown Bushing
Clark recoil spring plug and standard Colt's recoil springs
Standard OACP grip safety. No beavertail -- it came off after this photo.
No Bevel on the mag well, I didn't want to refinish the frame
Novak dot-over-bar tritium sights installed by John Nowlin
Tape works fine!
Retain standard trigger
Gunsite Low Thumb Safety.
Thin AlumaGrips

-- Chuck

·
Registered
233 Posts
Dparrish,
That was a great deal $400 for an OACP, you should be ashamed of taking advantage of that dealer. Just kidding of course, I'm sure he was happy with the $400 or he would have just said no.

I would advise you to reconsider the S&W sights. I had them installed on a early LW Commander in 38 Super and regretted it later. The Novak's and Heinie's are a much tougher sight. I have also been considering trying a pair of the Yo-Bo retro sights, just haven't decided what to put them on yet.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Mine.....

I've made a few changes since the photo. Now have a stainless slide stop and stainless grip screws. guess it's time for a new photo.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Try DVCustom.com he is building and customizing an Officers ACP for me he is amazing and better priced then most others.:rock:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Options

You might also want to contact some of the big-name gunsmithing operations like Yost-Bonitz or Novak. Y-B did my Lightweight OACP, and Novak has done a High Power and a CZ-75 for me in the past. Y-B is pretty back logged, but Novak, last I heard, had a pretty decent turn-around time. It never hurts to give them a call.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
I gotta get mine out in daylight for photos!

(Nice shots!)

Daylight photos (and the BBQ grips) make a difference in the photos!

-- Chuck

·
Registered
17 Posts
I put a Cylinder and Slide Fast Action hammer system on my OACP and it really helped the trigger action. It is one of the slickest systems I have ever seen on a 1911. It allows you to carry the weapon with a round chambered, the safety on, and the hammer down. When the weapon is to fired you flip down the safety and the hammer springs into position ready for action. Great system!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I have a two week 'just because you didn't slaughter anyone with the guns you already own doesn't mean you won't do so with this one' waiting period before I even get my hands on it. I'm going to shoot them both for a while and decide what is really needed. I put a Clark drop in reverse plug in the blued OACP, but I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. If it is totally reliable then maybe I don't need the FLGR. I have been warned about bushings breaking and recoil spring plugs letting go. I most definitely want to solve those problems. Nice guns guys!

Be Safe!

Dave

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
The Clark recoil spring plug does slightly shorten the recoil stroke, but has been perfectly reliable in the pistol using the stock, Colt's dual spring recoil system. I've got a Wolff single spring sitting here in the envelope, but haven't tried it as yet.

I wish the Clark plug was checkered, but that's cosmetic.

Ed Brown bushing is quite a bit thicker than the original Colt's.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
339 Posts
The Yost OACP pictured above has the Clark plug and I am using a Wolff recoil spring. It has been 100% reliable, and I see no reason to go to a full length guide rod. As for not being checkered, that bugs me a bit as well. I have thought about buying a spare and trying my hand with a checkering file. Come on....how tough could it be? (That last sentence may be filed under the category of "Famous Last Words")

·
Registered
15 Posts
Does the Ed Brown bushing require fitting or is a drop-in part?
(I say this believing drop-ins only really exists with magazines.)

I have the Clark plug on my OACP and have considered going with the EB bushing but havn't heard enough cautions on the stock bushing to justify it yet. Advice on this, is it really worth the mod?

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I saw a nice used one for sale at my local dealer. I didn't look close but I think it had Bomar sights, beaver tail, and possibly other modifications. You can call him at Smokey Acres Trading Company 573 265-6070. I have nothing to do with the shop other than giving them all my money. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
[/QUOTE]I wish the Clark plug was checkered, but that's cosmetic.

-- Chuck[/QUOTE]

That was my take on it too. I bet it would not cost much to have it checkered, though, especially a stainless one. I have a factory weight wolf spring in the blued OACP. I hope to get it to the range this weekend. Hopefully it will be reliable. If this works I may forego the FLGR on the stainless gun.

How much trouble have those bushing been? Most people on this forum have been going on about the recoil spring plug.

Regards,
Dave

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
The standard OACP recoil spring plug is secured only by that little tab. I've not personally seen a broken tab but stories abound. The Clark reverse spring plug makes contact around the entire U-shape of the slide.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OKay, I took the blued OACP with the new wolf spring and the Clark plug to the range today. I had Lawman 230 grain hardball, just to eliminate ammo, just in case. I have only fired around 75 rounds in this gun up to this point with the factory spring and bushing, but with no problems. Today, with the new spring and plug the slide locks back on the next to the last round. Tried two Colt mags and the same thing happens. I can't see how this could be the plug, or the spring for that matter. :scratch: I have a new Wilson mag on order and will try that next. If that fails I will try the Clark plug with the factory springs.

Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts