1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Well actually, in todays market, it's really not THAT pricey. I'm seeing USED, home-built AR-15's selling for $800+, and $59 lower receivers selling for over $100+ on TGT. Its nucking futs.

With that said, the LE6920 was selling for over $1000 well before all this civil unrest nonsense (in fact, TWICE as much shortly after Colt's announcement to cease civilian production). I've never understood why anyone would pay that kind of $$ for a bare-bones, 16" AR-15 just because it reads "Colt" on the receiver. Then again, I've never understood why anyone would buy season tickets to the Cowboys, so....

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I just posted it because lots of people really want to have a Colt and the rifles have been a little scarce lately. I try to help others out if I find deals that In think others may be interested in.

I had a Colt AR-15 once. It was a pretty nice rifle. They make a good gun. A fellow came along that liked it much more than I did so I sold it to him. I bought another nice AR and had lots of money left in my pocket.

Now I prefer to build my own. Before this craziness hit, I would shop around and pick up the good parts that I prefer. And still not have a big price invested in the rifle.

Reactions: Flight Medic

·
Registered
517 Posts
Hi,
Well, some people just want that prancin pony on the side.

When I decided to get an AR-15 I built my own.

I used a Spikes Tactical uppe and lower, with a Daniel Defense CL Hammer forged barrel and a matching bolt.

Magpul Furniture and a Military Aimpoint M2 Red Dot co-witnessed to the front sight.

Shoots like a pellet gun and highly accurate!

Admittedly have about $850 in it but was what I wanted and not over that $1000 mark!
pp1 (2).jpg

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
I never saw where a colt ar15 was anything special . I built our AR's with the parts I wanted to use . .

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yeah, they've been available for a while. The model changed from LE6920 to CR6920 or something, same basic gun but the model is no longer "M4", but just "Carbine" now on the lower. As they said with the initial announcement, they're making civie guns in between large export & LE contracts since they're more profitable.

·
Administrator
72,126 Posts
Special or not, Colts are easier to re-sell than most other brands. The price isn't out of line given the current madness.

Reactions: DrkBlue

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Yeah, they've been available for a while. The model changed from LE6920 to CR6920 or something, same basic gun but the model is no longer "M4", but just "Carbine" now on the lower. As they said with the initial announcement, they're making civie guns in between large export & LE contracts since they're more profitable.
I just saw the new one today as well. Other than the roll marks (or whatever it’s called on a rifle) it looks exactly like the previous LE6920.

That prancing Pony looked different though. At least it looked different to me without having my Colt AR nearby to check against. It looks uglier (if that’s a big deal to people) and the word “CARBINE” right under it, with the serial number right below it third line from top.

·
Administrator
72,126 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if they're actually assembled in Hartford or if they come from the same outsourced vendor that made the ill-fated Expanse line of ARs.

Reactions: fnfalman

·
Premium Member
11,416 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if they're actually assembled in Hartford or if they come from the same outsourced vendor that made the ill-fated Expanse line of ARs.
Well, unless they're guilty of false advertising...
Per the link -
"The Colt CR6920 5.56mm Rifle has replaced the LE6920 for 2020. For 2020, Colt has consolidated all Commercial & LE Rifle rollmarks under one common model naming nomenclature,”Colt Carbine”. This change allows for consistency in manufacturing across current and future rifle builds. Features on this model are identical to the prior LE6920 platform, with the exception of the changed rollmark.

Throughout the world today, Colt’s reliability, performance, and accuracy provide our Armed Forces the confidence required to accomplish any mission. Colt’s LE6920 series shares many features of its combat-proven brother, the Colt M4."

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I just saw the new one today as well. Other than the roll marks (or whatever it’s called on a rifle) it looks exactly like the previous LE6920.

That prancing Pony looked different though. At least it looked different to me without having my Colt AR nearby to check against. It looks uglier (if that’s a big deal to people) and the word “CARBINE” right under it, with the serial number right below it third line from top.
It would be "roll marks" if they were still rolled in, but they are engraved now, so they're just "Markings" I guess. Hence why horsey looks different, engraved. The plus is that you shouldn't see light stampings anymore! Hopefully a laser can't mess that up.

·
Administrator
72,126 Posts
Well let's hope they're still rolling out of Hartford. I read somewhere else that the BCGs aren't marked with a "C" like they normally are. I used to think everything inside a Colt AR was made in-house until learned that they've been outsourcing components for quite awhile. I once paid $200+ for a Colt-marked BCG only to discover that AO Precision was making them, so I found the latter for just $80 online. Aside from lacking the C mark it was virtually identical in every way to the Colt unit I'd bought previously.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I never saw where a colt ar15 was anything special . I built our AR's with the parts I wanted to use . .
Twenty years or so ago I attended an armorer's course on the 1911 pistol, and AR-15 taught by representatives of Colt Firearms. The instructor explained that every Colt AR is built to the exact same specifications originally provided to the military. Every bolt, not one ten or a hundred, is magnetic particle inspected. Every AR-15 is assembled exactly the same as every M-4 sold to Uncle Sam. Each and every one. No shortcuts, no differences in the military weapons and the civilian weapons save for the differences in the full auto and semi auto function. Since that time, I've had numerous opportunities to compare the builds of M-16's procured through the Department of Defense, and Colt 6920's provided by Colt Defense. Everything about them used to be the same other than the differences in the full auto and semi auto parts.
Now.. In the summer of 2016 I bought a Colt 6721 AR-15 to stash away. One of the things I always really liked about Colt AR's was the smooth coating they used on their bolt carriers. It gave them a very smooth surface that would allow the lubed up bolt carrier to slide like a buttered knife back and forth in the upper receiver. Even the Colt M-16 I was issued by the US Army in 1975 used the same bolt carrier. This new 6721 I got did not have that finish on the bolt carrier. It had the same flat black finish as bolt carriers from some of the other makers such as LMT. It was not the same as my department issued 6920 or my 90's made 6721, or the M-16's I've had access to over the years.
Seems to me that some things may be changing in Hartford. And not for the better.

·
Registered
23,007 Posts
Colt used to be the gold standard for AR type rifles/carbines. Not sure that I would say that today. Having purchased a Noveske a few years ago, and a Barrett more recently. I would have to say that these guns are a clear step above any Colt, which I also have. In overall build quality. Not saying that they are bad guns. But there is a lot better stuff out there.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
coyotebuster colt might have been top dog many years ago but today there nut'n special , heck even 20 years ago they were not special . They may fill a need still but hard times loss of quality control and high prices have proven others can replace them easily . Our current 3 ar15 started with aero precision upper and lowers when that was all they sold and I use criterion barrels so not only is it chrome bored but still a MOA shooter along with Toolcraft BCG and far better trigger group than the junk colt has its AR15 old or current . Quality small parts are also very easy to find and use so if your filling to take time collect build parts with and very nice AR can be built at home and still do for a budget .

If not for government handouts and deals with other military contract holder offering production to colt to keep working there military brand would have been gone some years back .

I do have one newer colt a 04840WC lw commander 45acp I got for a bargain when it turned up to be misplaced for a couple years in there stock room after helping the owner clean up the miss in there he knew I wanted a commander size 1911 so he made me an offer . I got it for $ 950+ tax and its been a well finished and very good carry option .

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hardluk, While I agree that Colt is currently run by idiots, I think their AR-15's have always been a good value. I've also noticed that the current crop of Colt AR's seem to be of lower quality than they were a decade or so ago. I also know there are many higher end AR-15 platform rifles being produced by a fair number of makers these days, but most generally, their price point reflects the higher quality.
I too own a few Colt 1911's. I've also spent time and money fitting them with what I would consider higher end small parts in an effort to improve their quality. I also own a couple 1911's from Wilson Combat, that I've not had to upgrade at all. Again the price point of the Wilsons reflected that they needed no upgrades.

·
Administrator
72,126 Posts
A Colt 6920 gives you a decent rifle at a reasonable price. Nobody is claiming it's the best out there or even the best bang for the buck. But it's a good weapon. Yes you can build a better rifle yourself for less, but that's assuming you have the space and the investment in tools, and that you are willing/able to do the research into the right components. Having enough mechanical skill helps too... don't forget there are guys out there who can't even change the spark plugs in their car.

Reactions: DrkBlue and BBBBill

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
A Colt 6920 gives you a decent rifle at a reasonable price. Nobody is claiming it's the best out there or even the best bang for the buck. But it's a good weapon. Yes you can build a better rifle yourself for less, but that's assuming you have the space and the investment in tools, and that you are willing/able to do the research into the right components. Having enough mechanical skill helps too... don't forget there are guys out there who can't even change the spark plugs in their car.
One thing for sure, GIs don't go to war with frankenstein built guns. If a Colt M4 is good enough for the last 17-years of war, it's more than good enough for a multitude of services.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts