1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after shooting yet another 100 rounds through the loaded, i noticed the failure to feed wasn't actually a ftf. It was my slide catch jumping up and locking back the top reciever.

I do not ride my hands anywhere close to it,
I do not let the gun over recoil to allow this,
I only apply a lite lube to the catch pin,
How can this be happening? am i holding the gun to hard (i think i may be)
to loose? trying to shoot it to quick? 1 rd every 3 to 4 seconds while target shooting. any imput would be appreciated.

FYI cool story. shooting a friends old ass .22 rifle at some aluminum cans when we were at the outdoor shooting range, being weighted the .22 wouldnt drop the cans off the shelf. Irritated i grabbed the 1911 and bang bang bang bang all 4 cans basically exploded at 40 yds. my friend was shocked that the 1911 was that accurate. the .45 acp fmj must have hit the rocks in them since the cans were destroyed and looked like tin foil.

@25 yrds 1 7 rd mag of my 1911 and 10 rounds of a friends 9mm

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
does the slide stop easily remove or install? does it seem to be loose fitting in the holes of the frame? and deflection/slop that can be felt? up,down,front to back..etc..? Did you check the plunger tube? is it loose? crooked? any binding from the plunger?

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
Premature slide lock is caused either by operator error or your ammo contacting the slide stop. Pull the stop and look for copper marks on the bottom, remove a SMALL amount of material.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no there isnt any play on the slide catch. it is a new gun about 250 rds sofar. it only catches the last mm of metal on the catch, i was gonna file it down but was hesitant due to not being 100% on it. I am currious how the brass is hitting a piece that is left of the ejector port and above my thumb though. this happens with WWB ball ammo WWB JHP's magtech and precision delta match ammo. yes it is a little to easy to fit back together after assembly, it was my first thought when i seen it catching. this also happens to a friend who duplicated the issue after 4 rds. It is random and and is messing up grouping due to having to rerack the gun, or just push the slide catch back down.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
It's not the brass hitting the slide stop, it's the bullet. The top round in the mag is hitting the slide stop and causing it to engage the slide.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts