1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found my Lee factory crimp die today (45acp). I just bought a Dillon and wondered if it would be better to use the Lee crimp die vice the Dillon crimp die.

I used the Lee die when I reloaded with my friend. He suggested we use it. He mostly reloaded 38 spl and didn't have the Lee taper crimp die, so I bought one for when I reloaded with him. Thought I lost it in the move to LA.

Yesterday I got my own Dillon all set to load, and now am thinking about using the Lee die in the last step.

Any suggestions? Note- I'm not reloading for competition, just informal target shooting.

Isn't this die suppose to be much better? I know it does a final full length resize in addition to the crimp. Am I correct?

·
Registered
14,931 Posts
You are correct about the FCD's function. I use FCD's on my 650, but either use a Dillon lockring or put the Lee lockring on the bottom of the toolhead. I don't know if having the lockring on the bottom will work on a 550 or not.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but either use a Dillon lockring or put the Lee lockring on the bottom of the toolhead. I don't know if having the lockring on the bottom will work on a 550 or not.

??

I have no idea what you mean. Why would I need two lockrings? There is a lockring already attached to my Lee Die. Why can't I use it? I see it has a rubber ring attached inside the lockring, but I can flip the die ring around so that it does not contact the toolhead. We were using it on a Dillon 550 last year when I reloaded with my friend. Seemed to work fine with the Lee die ring. Seemed I remember my friend flipped the die ring over before we secured it to the tool head.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14,931 Posts
I didn't say use a Dillon lockring and a Lee lockring. I said use one or the other. Some Lee dies don't have enough threads to use a Lee Lockring on a Dillon toolhead. The solution is to put the Lee Lockring under the toolhead (and this might not work on a 550, because of the indexing "star"), or to use a thin Dillon lockring in the normal fashion. Note: I didn't say use a Lee lockring and a Dillon lockring....just one or the other....whichever works better.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did misread- sorry about that. I'll give it a shot. I should fit- I used it on a 550 a few months ago.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts