1911Forum banner

Found this 1944 1911A1 and am wondering if someone could help me clear up some things

3264 Views 17 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  MG08
I used colts website to look up the serial number, it came back to a 1944 colt 1911A1. I see on the Frame the inspector was F.J.A. Which was an inspector for Ithaca and Remington Rand 1911A1s. So I’m kind of confused about that, also the slide is Colt. I see no stamps to show it was reworked.. can someone give me more information about what I have here, if it’s mixed slide and frame. Also would that affect its value?

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
7,662 Posts
Nice pistol, ITHACA receiver with COLT slide. I agree with the above about it being assembled by a previous private owner, as a military arsenal would have never put a long trigger on a 1911A1 frame.

Reactions: tgt_usa and Bedford

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It’s a sga
Nice pistol, ITHACA receiver with COLT slide. I agree with the above about it being assembled by a previous private owner, as a military arsenal would have never put a long trigger on a 1911A1 frame.
Its a shame
I think it'd sell for a bit more than that. I haven't seen anything with a US Property mark sell for under $1K, not counting the CMP lottery pistols of course.
its a shame such a nice condition 1944 1911 would be worth less than a new 1911 :/

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My grandfather was very old so it wouldn’t surprise me if he preferred the traditional long trigger found on the original 1911’s. I also found a 1918 Mark 1 Trench Knife along with a 1929 Colt New Service .38-40 in outstanding condition. It’s been a great day so far

· Premium Member
6,152 Posts
There's a good chance your pistol saw at least one arsenal rebuild. At the end of the war, things were pretty chaotic on that front, and a lot of stuff was being surveyed and put into storage. Then in just a few short years, Korea started up and all that stuff in storage got pulled out and reissued. It is certainly possible that the long trigger got put in during a refurbish. They had bins of parts being used for arsenal refits, so who knows? You see the same sort of mutt mixture of parts in Carbines and Garands that got refits in that period.

Personally, I prefer the long trigger, as well as the flat main spring housing of the original 1911. Those were the first two things that got changed no matter what on every 1911 I've ever owned. Unless you've got a Time Machine, there's no way to say with certainty how it ended up with that long trigger.

Reactions: LoganL_TTU

· Premium Member
17,479 Posts
Most likely the M1911 trigger was installed for the user by the unit armorer if it happened during government service. Otherwise it would only have happened after the pistol left service - it would not have been installed during an overhaul.

· Premium Member
17,479 Posts
This one also has really sharp edges and distinct markings - frame does not appear to me to have been blasted and re-Parkerized. Slide and frame hues do not seem to match so maybe the slide is original finish too or it could be a refinish that simply was done at a different time and place.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This one also has really sharp edges and distinct markings - frame does not appear to me to have been blasted and re-Parkerized. Slide and frame hues do not seem to match so maybe the slide is original finish too or it could be a refinish that simply was done at a different time and place.
Yeah, it’s a Colt Slide on an Ithaca Frame. Barrel is stamped HS by the lug, so it’s Ithaca as well. Are there other parts on the 1911 that would be stamped to identify it’s manufacturer other than slide, receiver and Barrel?

· Registered
2,919 Posts
By 1944, Colt, Ithaca, RR all used some contractor made parts. If the hammer is serrated, it was Ithaca. If checkered, need more detail photos to help ID maker. Also 8-rib MSH is for Remington Rand, and 7-rib for Colt & Ithaca. Your thumb safety looks like Colt's, but a photo with checkering would help ID too.

· Registered
189 Posts
It is interesting when you bring up arsenal "rebuild" - not all rebuilds replaced the parts on all the older guns. I have a Colt 1911 - WWI gun, that is AA marked, but retains all it's original 1911 features, barrel only being replaced . It would appear to have been refinished post WWI. The mix of parts could have happened anytime- Armorers during my service time would routinely clean a large qty of guns and reassemble parts without much concern for returning slides and frames to the correct guns.
this was in the 80s.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.