1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read with interest many postings about the merits of various of the "best" 1911.

To get more information, I downloaded data from the websites of the manufacturers that most of the postings listed.

I am not yet ready to buy another .45 but if I do, my research has led me to think in terms of one of the following:

Colt Gold Cup Trophy
Kimber Gold Match II
Springfiled Trophy Match
Wilson KZ45

(all the stainless versions).

Which one would you buy and why?

·
Registered
963 Posts
Of the ones listed, I would reccommend the Kimber Gold Match. I have had one for several years now and have yet to experience any sort of FTF with it.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
If I had to go with a production manufacturer's gun, I'd probably favor the Gold Cup; however, since you put a Wilson on the list (even an ugly plastic one), that pretty much stacks the deck as far as I am concerned. I dare say that nobody ever went wrong by sending their money to Bill Wilson.

Chuck

66 Posts
If it were me and it is. I would move up a notch on the Wilson to a CQB or Millenium Protector, I would stay on your selection on the Colt Trophy. Though I would get a Blue one for shooting or a stainless for carry or collection. I would go down to the base model on the Kimber as its a fantastic shooter. And it has everything you need reliability and accuracy. The Springfield I know nothing about and i've seen mixed writting here on every level in their line.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I don't think you could go wrong with any of those pistols.

I do agree with TAFKAR that I would spend the extra nickel and get the Mill. protector if I were looking at a Wilson.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
tpla - I think you're limiting your options a bit too much but out of the guns you listed I would choose the Gold Cup Trophy. I would also look at the Kimber Stainless Target, as I believe it offers a better dollar to gun value than the Gold Match does. What about a Baer?

·
Registered
474 Posts
tpla,
I would also choose the Gold Cup Trophy. I used to own a Kimber Gold Match and did not enjoy the success that RikWriter speaks of. I have owned 2 Gold Cups and was pleased with both (I still own 1 of them). No problems to speak of. I sold the other to make the Baer a little more affordable. They were both accurate and reliable and would be my choice of the 4 you mentioned.

------------------

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you who have responded to my posting.

Yesterday, I went to the range and was able to fire the Kimber. You know the feeling when something seems to fit just right? That's how I felt when I fired the Kimber. It felt just right!

Although I have read so much about the quality of the Wilson, my inpection of the Kimber left me with an impression of excellent craftsmanship.

While it is a production model rather than the kind produced by Wilson, I had no hesitation in driving right back to my local gun shop and ordering the Kimber.

Will post my thoughts on this pistol once I put a few hundred rounds through it.

Thanks again for your comments

·
Registered
871 Posts
I own 3 of the 4 you mentioned. Don't have the Gold cup. I find myself shooting the KZ more and more. I really like it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts