1911Forum banner

FP-10 & Ultima Lube

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Diablo 
#1 ·
I haved used both of these lubes on my 1911's and haven't had a problem with either one.

My question is (for either one), how long after applying these lubes can you wait before needing to reapply ? If the gun is left in storage for a month or two, should it be relubed prior to shooting, or will it be "good to go" as is?

#2 ·
If the lube is still visible on the weapon, you are good to go. I've gone over a month with a carrygun, and my closet guns haven't been touched in probably three months or so.

Both FP-10 and Protec/Wilson Ultima-Lube will offer lubrication even when there isn't a "wet" surface, but protection from corrosion is more of a concern which is why I recommend a visible thin film on all metal parts.

Hope this helps,
Clay

www.fp10.com
www.proteclubricants.com

#3 ·
Like Clay,I always leave a visible film of oil on the weapons,inside and out,for storage.They are wiped down with FP-10 immediately after they are handled or carried as well.
I always check my firearms that are in storage every month and relube every three months or as needed.
So far the FP-10 has not needed much attention or relubing which has extended my service intervals somewhat.Which is good because it takes me about five hours to go over my collection.
The FP-10 seems to stick around for a long time without running off or drying out.
I cant say anything about the Wilson or Protec lubes since I have had no experience with them.
I would stick with the FP-10.It works.
HTH
Raymond

#4 ·
I don't have yet tested FP-10 "new formula", but I use often Wilson Ultima Lube and I can speak well about it. It seems exceptionally similar to Militec-1 in odor, color and density, but it has much better anticorrosion properties, altough not on par with the very best products. regards, Maxm

#7 ·
Speaking about anticorrosion properties, BreakFree CLP old formula (I didn't test the new), CorrosionX, CRC GunStor for oils;
RIG, Militec-1 and some others for greases. I have yet to try FP-10 new formula, I ordered yesterday a bottle.
Regards, MAXM

#9 ·
Rimfire, 22, sometimes also I think that oil choice isn't so important, but then I run my comparative tests and see very different results, and remember a beautiful Walther .22 match rifle I rusted many years ago by choosing a bad oil...
Have a nice day, MAXM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.