1911Forum banner

FP stop cracked (pic)

1431 12
After roughly 4k rounds thru my champion, the stock FP stop finally gave up. It's been known to be MIM and on the weak side. I have a post earlier here asking about the bigger ejector I have on my champ. See here:
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=129281

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
954 Posts
I can't get excited about failures that don't put the gun immediately out of action. Good you noticed it, as the firing pin flying back at you could do some damage.

+1 to replace it and carry on.

--wally.

· Registered
1,127 Posts
If you use them alot..they will crack. I've cracked EGW's (twice), Ed Browns (once), Briley(once or twice) and the firing pin stop that's in my gun right now is cracked. It doesn't really bother me any more. I've got a replacement (STI) in my spare parts bin now for when it actually breaks.

Replace it if you want...but the replacement will more than likely crack sometime.

· Premium Member
2,057 Posts
vapors750 said:
If you use them alot..they will crack. I've cracked EGW's (twice), Ed Browns (once), Briley(once or twice) and the firing pin stop that's in my gun right now is cracked. It doesn't really bother me any more. I've got a replacement (STI) in my spare parts bin now for when it actually breaks.

Replace it if you want...but the replacement will more than likely crack sometime.
Send the EGW's back, we will replace them free.
like to se them also.

best regards
geo

EGW inc.
48 N, Belmont ave
Quakertown Pa 18951
www.egw-guns.com

· Registered
1,127 Posts
George Smith said:
Send the EGW's back, we will replace them free.
like to se them also.
Hi George..yeah you guys did replace them for free...I just didn't feel like bothering you guys anymore. I view firing pin stops as "consumables" now with my 1911. I used to get concerned when I saw a crack in the stop...now I don't worry about it....however I do keep a spare on hand should one go completely south during a match.

· Registered
283 Posts
PX9171L said:
After roughly 4k rounds thru my champion, the stock FP stop finally gave up. It's been known to be MIM and on the weak side. I have a post earlier here asking about the bigger ejector I have on my champ. See here:
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=129281

I noticed mine cracked after only 258 rnds, not sure when it did, just noticed it while looking at it by a 300 watt halogen lamp. SA GI Champion, I did get the Ed Brown for a .45 and just filed the ejector side to fit, had to file the top off anyway for my Heinie rear sight.

· Premium Member
2,057 Posts
45 Govt size guns use the GI origional ejector.
they are basically the same since 1912

with the smaller bolt face 38 super colt moved the ejector inbound so it would not hit the side of the smaller bolt face.

Commanders and eventually smaller guns traditonally use the "super"
ejector. same for 40's and 10mm in full size guns. and everything in between.

Willy, if you "file" out to clear the wider commander ejector you tend to leave an inside square corner closer to the firing pin hole. i.e. crack sooner.

Vapors,
having sold over 20,000 firing pin stops, all made from A2 tool steel except for the SIG GSR, all with radiuses in the ejector and ser 80 corner (there was a batch that got out about 4 years ago that had the corner square) if the gun is breaking that many stops, I would look at other things.
Are the sides higher than the center?
is the back face flat?
dished in the center?
exceptionally loose?

again, would like to see a couple failed ones to see if they tell a story?

I have one in my collection from a production gun that cracked into the hole and the customer did not see it, eventually it cracked all the way through the other side. You really should keep an eye on them

the fp stop pictured appears far too rough to be made by the mim process.
geo

· Registered
1,127 Posts
George Smith said:
Vapors,
having sold over 20,000 firing pin stops, all made from A2 tool steel except for the SIG GSR, all with radiuses in the ejector and ser 80 corner (there was a batch that got out about 4 years ago that had the corner square) if the gun is breaking that many stops, I would look at other things.
Are the sides higher than the center?
is the back face flat?
dished in the center?
exceptionally loose?
I remember when mine broke...that you mentioned all these things. I've since replaced that gun with a new one from the Springfield Custom Shop...and that one cracked too in about 6 months (FP stop cut for a Bo-Mar sight)...but you have to put this into a frame of reference...I dryfire almost every night and shoot almost every weekend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.