1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well having NEVER taken apart a series 80 gun, I delved into it headfirsat today with the replacement of the plastic trigger that has been bugging the heck outa me. All I have to say is, 10 minute dissasembly, and about the same getting it back together, just pay attention to the way the two little lawyer parts go, and it is pretty easy to put together
Sorry of I am boring the older crowd here...lol

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I agree that the series 80 parts aren't that much of a hassle. The only recurring reassembly problem that I see, is with the lower boomerang-shaped series 80 lever. Make sure that the bottom arm is on the BACKSIDE of the trigger bow after reassembly. It should be visible right beside the bottom of the disconnector.

If you reassemble with lever inside the trigger bow (not visible), your gun will not go bang when you pull the trigger. The trigger bow is what actuates the series 80 levers to depress the firing pin safety plunger.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand what you are saying...but wouldnt a way to check be to hold the hammer back, and pull the trigger with the slide off...and just watch the upper lever move up?

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Yep, but you'd be surprised how many people button 'em back up and head off to the range without a simple visual check.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Don't suppose you folks have figured out a way to get all those little parts back in there and the pin through, without the contortionistic troubles I've been having?

Trying to line up the disconnector/s80 lever/et al as one unit, and get it positioned over the hole, and get the pin through them all, all the while with hands slimy with lube/cleaning solution and shaking and numb....you see where I'm going?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

PS, Of course I don't really have this sort of problem being a master smith and all. I was just thinking about a good friend. I can't quite find the words to explain how simple it is......

------------------
When reason fails...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I put teh sear/ disconnector in, put the pin most of the way through, then use needly nose pliers to put in the S80 part.

The Hammer & other lever are easy.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
UJT

Since the sear and hammer pins are supposed to go into the frame from the left side, sequence will matter a little. At the very least it should be easier to get the sear and disconnector in first then the S80 lever. If you got the lever to line up and then installed the sear and disconnector second you either have a better touch than, or more luck than I do. Have you considered buying alottery ticket recently?

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

·
Administrator
74,421 Posts
Originally posted by shane45-1911:
Yep, but you'd be surprised how many people button 'em back up and head off to the range without a simple visual check.
Like me. Will never do THAT again.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Str8_Shot:
UJT

Since the sear and hammer pins are supposed to go into the frame from the left side, sequence will matter a little. At the very least it should be easier to get the sear and disconnector in first then the S80 lever. If you got the lever to line up and then installed the sear and disconnector second you either have a better touch than, or more luck than I do. Have you considered buying alottery ticket recently?

I always do things ass backwards

1 - 12 of 12 Posts