1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on here tried to checker the side of the frame just past the slide stop in order to give some grip for the thumb? If anyone had do you have any advice or warnings? I know it is done on the Glock's all the time (Did it to mine while on light duty). Can it be done, should it be done, or is it even worth being done on a 1911?

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
I have seen some wide body frames checkered 360 degrees all the way around the frame. Personally I don't see how it would add anything - most of your gripping and control are on the front and rear - very little grip is actually needed for the sides. When I shoot both of my thumbs are floating just off the frame and slide. (out in the breeze) Any pressure on one side will just steer the gun off axis in my experience.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have a similar problem that I’m trying to solve, my weak thumb doesn’t seem to provide enough support and I am shooting left. Why not try a patch of skateboard tape there, Shoot it a while, if helps then think about something permanent. I have thought of the same thing but a patch of checkering there would make the gun worthless for resale. If you google “1911 thumbrest” you can see other creative solutions to the same problem.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Personally I don't see how it would add anything - most of your gripping and control are on the front and rear - very little grip is actually needed for the sides. When I shoot both of my thumbs are floating just off the frame and slide. (out in the breeze) Any pressure on one side will just steer the gun off axis in my experience.
I agree, my weak thumb just floats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Coleman thank you sir. That's what I was looking for. The 1911 thumb rest is not bad for a race gun but doesn't exactly fit well with the tactical or concealed carry idea.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts