1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the shop recently and looking at a an Ultra carry. I'm thinking of it as a carry gun. Both my nephews have them and love them. I've shot both and they seem like guns I'd like to own. Now I've had 2 people advise me not to buy a Kimber due to frame cracking. Is this really a problem or are they repeating nonsense they've heard somewhere?

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
A frame cracked. That guy told 2 friends, and they told 2 friends and they told 2 friends and so on and so on.

Now 98.482% of all Kimber's have cracked frames and the Federal Government is launching an investigation. I know because a friend of a neighbor knows this guy that worked for a lady who's husband in on confidential assignment with Fox News who knows the Chief Investigator.

:biglaugh:

Stuff happens. Rumor amplifies the stuff happening. ;)

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
IF it happened, it's an anomoly.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I recently sent in a Tactical Pro II to have the EE switched out for an IE and was notified by Kimber they were replacing the entire pistol due to a crack in the frame. Round count was under 2000.

Why would Kimber replace am entire pistol if it were not a cracked frame? After replacing the slide about the only thing left to replace (that is not easily replaced) is the frame. So yes, I do know about cracked frames.

Or it was easier to replace the entire pistol....which I doubt.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
:) Anything can happen, but the cut on the slide stop side of the frame stops most frame cracking. Colts, especially in aluminum frames would crack there. It actualy does not hurt anything in that spot, but that is why all major manufacturers cut the frame rails there, no more cracking in that spot, but I am sure it is possible for cracks to start other places, especially if using extra hot loads.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts