1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
712 Posts
I am a good tig welder and I wouldn't be able to do it at a price that makes sense compared to just picking up another gun.
And- welding is just the start- after that the welds have to be dressed down, such fitting of parts and such as is needed to make it go plus refinishing.
If it were mine I would do it just for fun but if you have to pay to get all the work done.. I don't see how that is going to make sense.

· Registered
712 Posts
And..
Every little part outside of that frame will bring good money on EBay which goes towards the replacement.
So Street price for replacement minus the money from sold parts comes in at about 1/2 or better of the money you will sink into the repair.

· Registered
712 Posts
Old Gunsmiths had skills, curiosity, and were fearless. It's a shame to see them pass.
Shop rate makes some work not worth it for the client.

If someone walked in the door with this or it belonged to a friend I might take it on just to help them out.
As a project I would know going in I’d be giving away my time.
If I quoted straight time the client might still say ok and have it done for their own reasons.
Skill, curiosity and attitude have little to do with it, it’s just the hard reality of what billable rates mean for this class of work.
The repair will cost more than the pistol is worth.

I own a fabrication business- it could be gunsmith’s have a rate schedule which changes that equation.
I doubt that is true.

One has to take a hard look at this pistol and see if it is worth the bother.
Look at the scoring under the grip scales.
This pistol looks like it has been rode hard and dirty for a long time.
Is it worn out in addition to being fatigue cracked literally to pieces?
If it were mine I’d fix it right up but I have all the equipment just sitting here to do the work.
If you have to pay a shop?

· Registered
712 Posts
I used to use a shop up in Mass for micro tig work.
They do the basic weld up at very reasonable cost.
Old school files and stones to fair the work and stove top rust blue the gun.
That could work for anyone with the skill and time to do the post weld fairing and cost would be minimal.

The shop I used to use stopped taking in gun work but there must be others who still do.
Still- a couple of hundred or more for just welding (If me it would be more), so even that approach costs money.

If you have this welded up - leave fillets everywhere you can.
Don’t take it back to those square profiles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts