1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1911s and AR-15. I like building and tinkering.
662 Posts
Depends on how it's repaired. Welding can and will repair the cracks, but it's up to you or the gunsmith to get everything back into the proper dimensions by carefully filing and dremeling away the excess metal.

Personally, I'd go for it. Welds usually end up stronger than the steel around it anyways, so theoretically, you should end up with a stronger frame than before.

· Registered
662 Posts
Oh yeah, I would have a gunsmith do the job and not me. I just discovered the problem last night and have not shown it to any smiths who might actually do the work.
It's called micro-welding and here's an article on a company that might be able to help you:

It won't be cheap, but it'll probably be cheaper than a new gun and you'll save that one from the scrap heap.

· Registered
662 Posts
Salvage what parts are useable from the pistol and destroy the rest.

Why risk having the frame tig welded and turn into a frag grenade for a future owner? There is no way to test the integrity of that frame after repairs other than shooting it.

Put an end to it, there are a LOT of Hi Powers out there that can be fired safely for generations yet.
You may have a point. That's a lot of damage and, as others have said, it might be a sign of poor metallurgy.

While I'm one of those guys who'd much rather fix a gun than get rid of it, there are times when it's better to just to the latter. Someone once said something in a comment, and it goes a little like this, "There's no point in polishing a turd."

Personally, I'd just keep it and wait. You never know when you might find a pro who'll take a look at it and give you a professional opinion and/or help fix it up. At the very least, they might be able to confirm whether or not it's a lost cause. The OP has other Hi-Powers, so he doesn't need it, nor does he need to get rid of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts