1911Forum banner

Frame cracks

3107 71
Is this frame junk or repairable? What would have caused this?
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal
Automotive tire Bicycle part Wood Motor vehicle Rim
Wood Gas Composite material Hardwood Aluminium
  • Wow
Reactions: Che and Boge
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Depends on how it's repaired. Welding can and will repair the cracks, but it's up to you or the gunsmith to get everything back into the proper dimensions by carefully filing and dremeling away the excess metal.

Personally, I'd go for it. Welds usually end up stronger than the steel around it anyways, so theoretically, you should end up with a stronger frame than before.
Oh yeah, I would have a gunsmith do the job and not me. I just discovered the problem last night and have not shown it to any smiths who might actually do the work.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
There's no event attached to this? A drop, a severely overpowered round or something?

You just picked it up one day and it looked like that?

Just curious. That is like really broke.
The pistol came to me as is in a package deal. I have never fired it. It is a surplus pistol, and so it was intended by me to be a project gun anyway. The cracks did not make themselves apparent until full disassembly last night. I was thinking that someone must have used it as a hammer.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hmmm :unsure: Here's my thoughts: At LEAST half the cost of repair will be to make it "pretty" again. Maybe 75% or more of the price will be on aesthetics. I say Screw That! Have a cheap & strong repair done & let the gun show it's scar. You'll be back in action soon without spending too much.
Nice idea, but I was planning on having the gun completely refinished anyway.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Perhaps all ya' can do is get some sort of estimate from a professional welder, who also knows something about firearms, and come to your repair cost vs. replacement decision from there.

Personally, I wouldn't be comfortable or confident shooting an H-P that experienced that sort of damage...'stronger' weld or not. What about the other side of the frame ? Any sign of cracking or fracture ??

But....as a '..can ya' top this..' example'....I think ya' got a winner !!
Yes, I bring this issue to the boards because it's Saturday and it seemed like a fun topic. I will show it to a professional and take their word for it. A repair, even if possible, may not be worth it for cost or other reasons. I just learned about the damage last night (after having owned the pistol for years - talk about project backlog!!!).

Look again. The cracks are on both sides of the frame, essentially in the same spot.

Agreed on it being a winner. I was hoping someone else had seen this kind of failure, but...

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I agree it looks like hell, but - as others have mentioned - this is the sorta' thing MOST of us can't fix or afford to fix. HOWEVER, yes: others might do it for the challenge or experience.

Me? I'd just sit there and cry.
Fortunately for me, this is just a couple hundred dollar loss at worst. I have other BHP's that I love dearly. The high price of BHP these days is the only reason that I would consider fixing this one. It was never going to be a carry "with my life on the line" use pistol anyway. I have others for that task.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Does it run as is? I would part it out and buy a new one if I wanted a BHP.
I have never fired it. When fully assembled, everything functioned normally with no hint of flexing, but that is just me manually operating it, of course. I have no plans of putting it back together and firing it now.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Personally, I'd just keep it and wait. You never know when you might find a pro who'll take a look at it and give you a professional opinion and/or help fix it up. At the very least, they might be able to confirm whether or not it's a lost cause. The OP has other Hi-Powers, so he doesn't need it, nor does he need to get rid of it.
Yeah, I am not going to throw it away. I am going to show it to some pros to see what they think first. The cost may be too high. The risk of future failure may be too great. I am mostly bummed because I was going to do something different with this one. If I go buy another one, it will likely be too nice to do anything to. If it is deemed junk (and I agree that it is most likely scrap metal now), I will turn it into a nice desk lamp or something. Meanwhile, yes, I'll keep enjoying my others.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts