1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is the big advantage to cutting the frame so a beaver tail can be fitted? I know wilson makes a tail that requires no frame cutting;but the one i like best is the ed brown memory grip- which of coarse requires frame modifacation. whould there be a substantal advantage to going the frame mod route? i know almost all tails require cutting.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
A fitted BGS will allow the pistol to sit lower in your hand. Some BGS's allow more lowering than others.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I put a Wilson drop-in beavertail on a Colt - it allows a slightly higher hand position. The fit was ok, no worse than most stock beavertails on Colts or Kimbers. But not as tightly fit (read pretty) as many of the guns that show up on this forum.

There was a post not too long ago, a guy posted pictures of 3 guns that he fitted beavertails on. They were outstanding ! - he offered to divulge some secrets/tips on how he fitted them.

I keep waiting to get that info.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Hey Art I think Santa is bringing a digital camera to me for Christmas and if he does I will do a picture post on some of the techniques I use to fit BTs........TGR

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hey Art I think Santa is bringing a digital camera to me for Christmas and if he does I will do a picture post on some of the techniques I use to fit BTs........TGR
I'm looking forward to seeing that.

·
Registered
356 Posts
You need a .250 radius for a Brown BT which there is a jig availble from Brownells. I put a Wilson drop in on a SA and it looked like crap. Big gap between frame and beavertail.

·
Registered
889 Posts
TGR,

I'm also looking forward to seeing your method of fitting BTs.

I will be starting to build my first 1911 in a week or so. I'll hold off on the BT fitting.

-Art

·
Registered
674 Posts
The fitted beaver tail grip safeties allow you to put your hand much higher on the gun. This reduces the muzzle rise. In years gone by I thought that it didn't make much difference boy was I wrong. If you get the chance try a gun with the same ammo with good checkering or grip surface on the front and back and a high beaver tail grip safety. You will be dumbfounded how much of a difference it makes. The real thrill is when you go back to the old gun. The muzzle flips up big time.

Ed

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm having Gene Shuey fit a beavertail GS and high cut/ round the front of my 1911A1 now. But I don't have the money to checker the front so I'm going with skateboard tape for now. Later I'll checker the front and hard chrome the frame.

·
Registered
674 Posts
If this is very short term skate board tape is OK. If you are going to leave it this way for a year or so I would use epoxy and grit. I have it on several old guns and Boy does it grip. It does not fall off when hot or in solvent. But unless you are better than I am in applicant it is not the best cosmetically.
Ed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts