1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting a 1911 for some time and I stumbled across this today.

It is an 80 series Commander built by Fred Kart. It also has a Kart .22 conversion with it. The Bomar sight rib provides a great sight picture. I assuming is was built for Bullseye shooting.

Does anyone know anything about his builds?

Is it okay to shoot ball ammo?

I paid $1250 OTD for it, did I do okay?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
That is awesome!

I think you did quite well...

Do my eyes deceive me or is it actually a Government model (5") vs a Commander (4.25")?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yeah, the build sheet clearly says 5" barrel, so it's a Govt model.

I would have bought that in a heartbeat unless the barrel is shot out or there is some other mechanical issue. I'd want to try the grips as I have larger hands and a lot of heel rest grips are too small for me. But it looks to be in great shape and I'm a huge fan of 22 conversions. For the money to get the conversion that seems like a steal. The Kart kits usually sell for $500+.

The .45 spring is probably set-up for light loads, so I'd replace it with a 16-18# spring before shooting regular ball ammo. The ramp is also probably set up to feed wadcutter type bullets reliably which is great if you reload. All around I bet it turns out to be a great shooter.

Nice Christmas present.

dakotaTex

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'll take another look tomorrow, but I swear the slide said Commander. Maybe a mismarked Shouse. I noticed the .22 conversion slide appears to be a commander length slide.

·
Registered
22,016 Posts
I would not shoot hardball.
I have READ of the recoil shearing the rib screws.
It is a "wad gun" as in wadcutter target loads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts