1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I had recently purchased a Henry BB .357 lever 16" Carbine and I've been looking into a high quality revolver to pair it with. I have never owned a single action revolver before. I'm very familiar with S&W double actions since that was duty gun for about five years. I had been considering a S&W 3" 686 Plus, but think I would prefer something different. This obviously wont be a carry gun except maybe in the winter for short periods of time. Mainly range and maybe beside gun along with my Henry.

All my handguns are 9mm semi autos and I have a ton of 9mm ammo and decent amount of .38 and .357 for my Henry. This particular 5.5" Freedom Arms 97 comes with a second 9mm cylinder and action job. It's expensive, but not Korth expensive.

Anyone familiar with this model and can I get your thoughts?

Thanks!
Revolver Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Everyday carry

·
Registered
170 Posts
...recently purchased a Henry BB .357 lever 16" Carbine and I've been looking into a high quality revolver to pair it with. ...All my handguns are 9mm semi autos and I have a ton of 9mm ammo and decent amount of .38 and .357 for my Henry. This particular 5.5" Freedom Arms 97 comes with a second 9mm cylinder and action job. It's expensive, but not Korth expensive....Anyone familiar with this model and can I get your thoughts?
Not the 9mm, but the Freedom Arms 97 I owned was the best made pistol I've ever owned - by far. Nicer than any of my Dan Wesson 1911's. As a mate to a .357 Henry - yes, buy it. Just buy it. You'll not regret it.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have a 97, except mine is a 44 Special. In my opinion a Freedom Arms single action is the finest production single action produced. The 97 is small and easy to pack, the 357 is most likely the best caliber for the 97. They are not traditional single actions, but more modern improvements on the single action pistol.
I also have a 50th Anniversity 357 Flat Top Blackhawk in 357 Mag, it is built on the original Ruger Old Model 357 Blackhawk frame. It is close to the size of the Colt Peacemaker, smaller than the New Model 357 Blackhawk. I like it as well as the Freedom Arms, it also packs well and is accurate.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi,

I had recently purchased a Henry BB .357 lever 16" Carbine and I've been looking into a high quality revolver to pair it with. I have never owned a single action revolver before. I'm very familiar with S&W double actions since that was duty gun for about five years. I had been considering a S&W 3" 686 Plus, but think I would prefer something different. This obviously wont be a carry gun except maybe in the winter for short periods of time. Mainly range and maybe beside gun along with my Henry.

All my handguns are 9mm semi autos and I have a ton of 9mm ammo and decent amount of .38 and .357 for my Henry. This particular 5.5" Freedom Arms 97 comes with a second 9mm cylinder and action job. It's expensive, but not Korth expensive.

Anyone familiar with this model and can I get your thoughts?

Thanks!
View attachment 641603
Those are about the nicest finished Single Action that you can get for a reasonable amount of money.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
I've yet to own one........but I'll say this.....it sure passes the "eye test".

That may be the best looking handgun brand period........and I'm a dyed in the wool 1911 lover.

Gorgeous guns.

I've always flirted with the idea of getting an octagonal barreled .454 with a .45 Colt cylinder.

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
i can't afford one, but have handled them. as the other posts state, they are the finest revolvers i've ever seen. very accurate too! the loading gate is 'bank vault' tight. the timing is perfect. if you touch one, you will want one. go for it!

Reactions: RetLawman590

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I still haven't decided on the Model 97 purchase. It's really difficult to commit without holding one. I did stop by my local FFL and held a new Colt Python 4.25" and it was very nice. I felt it was much better constructed than a SW 686plus that a held also. Asking $100 over MSRP though! Decision, decisions...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts