1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a Kimber owner and love my TLE II, wish I had the money to spend to buy a Les Bear, Ed Brown or Wilson Combat. I've been haveing difficulties finding a 1911 clone in this lower price range. My SSgt wants to find a 1911 clone for around $400-600, and that's after tax and registration.

Does any one have any advice? I've found several around $600 and I know Fire Storm makes a $275 1911, but I've been unable to locate thier web site.

· Registered
202 Posts
Go with a R.I.A.

Hello, the Fire Storm would be out as the co. that made them is gone. Take a look at the Rock Island. Mine has been great right out of the box and it is alot better then the Springer that I had. Do some searching on the RIA and look at all the good reports.
Don

· Registered
954 Posts
I'd suggest taking a look at the Armscor Enhanced 45 or the Armscor made Charles Daly guns. Use the search, most would say they are very good guns for the money. Should come in at the low side of your price range but give features like the Springfield "Loaded" models -- Novak sights, ambi-safety, & beavertail grip safety. For a "GI" style gun look at the Armscor made RIA which should run ~$300.

--wally.

· Registered
668 Posts
I paid right at $500 for my Springfield Armory Mil-Spec .45 at a gun show.
No frills, plastic grips that split the first time you tightened the screws but with that exception, didn't miss a lick.

I have since then installed a beavertail grip safety, a lightened hammer and new rubberized grips to replace those raggedey-a$$ed plastic things:rock:

Good guns are available for that price.

YMMV

dj

· Registered
3,378 Posts
I would suggest a mil spec Springfield, preferably stainless. That was my first 1911 in 1997. I later put on Tirjicon sights, put Hogue grips on it and did a few other things. For that price, I would still stick w/ a better brand than Charles Daly and the like.

Taurus is about to release a new 1911 w/ all the bells and whistles on it for that price as well, but we must wait and see if it is reliable.

· Registered
390 Posts
SA Parkerized Mil-spec is $505

on the shelf at two dealers here in town, maybe more. I checked because I want another one, and NIB at local dealers they are $505.00 and stainless for $540. This is the Mil-spec, with 3-dot sights and lowered ejection port and beveled magazine well.
It's in your price range, with a great warranty, and gunsmiths will work on it with a smile on their face.
RIA guns are very good out of the box, and are gaining a very good reputation, but a lot of parts that should fit just don't, and many smiths will tell you to go elswhere.

· Registered
954 Posts
Find a Norinco.
Since if he's in the US he'll be buying used, with no customer service or manufacturer's support, make sure he knows what to look for to avoid the bad ones floating around:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=169411

RIA guns are very good out of the box, and are gaining a very good reputation, but a lot of parts that should fit just don't
Which parts do you claim are non-standard?

--wally.

· Registered
107 Posts
One of my favorite firearms is a used Springfield full size, blued, 1991 vintage. Picked it up at consignment sale at a local gunshop. four hundered dollars out the door. Picked it up, sent to Springfield Armory for a check, extractor, etc. got it back with a clean bill of health. At no cost to me. Springfield stands behind their firearms no matter who owns them.

Semper Fi

ed from pa

· Registered
746 Posts
I found a Armscor last yeaer at a local dealer for $325. It did have a lot of the bells & whistles and seemed like a nice pistol, but..... For the money you are looking at spending, I also would go with SA, good guns and good people. I don't think he could go wrong with them.

· Registered
2,429 Posts
Auto Mag said:
Go with the RIA/Armscor guns and put the left over money into ammo!!
+1
You'll be assured of great customer service. You don't have to go too far, Blackdragon is right here at the forum most of the time.
But if buying used is a not an issue, try hunting for a used Kimber non-II classic custom. I saw a slightly used one for $530 at the last show I attended.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.