1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Frightening-- Pictures added 12-20

Especially frightening when something like this happens to someone you know. This lady is the Principal at one of our schools and lives one house away from me. She and her husband are our very good friends. She posted this on the School News this morning.

I'm telling you about my experience last night to caution you about traveling between Ft. Valley and Warner Robins....of course this could happen anywhere...I just never expected it to happen to me. Very, very frightening. I was coming home from WRobins late last night. I had just gone over the I75 overpass on 96 just past the sod farm, down into the little gully past the creek headed to Ft. Valley. I met a car and was hit with what I thought to be a beer bottle or something that joy riders were throwing out of the passing vehicle. It made a horrible noise and scared me terribly. When I got into Ft. Valley at the traffic light and could look in the side view mirror in the light I saw what looked like a big area that was evidently damaged due to the "bottle's" impact. When I got home, opened the door, and looked - I had been shot. The entrance of the bullet is about 2 feet from the driver side door. If it had entered my door, I would most certainly have been seriously injured or killed. I found the slug when I was getting groceries, etc. from the back seat of the car. Please. please be careful with all the traveling you'll be doing over the holiday. I certainly won't be out so late again. There are so many crazy people out there doing crazy things. You just can't be too careful. Mr. Greene and I were looking at the bullet hole in my car this morning and he said "when you ride with God you're protected." Ms. Brown reminded me of a prayer she prays "Lord protect me from danger, both the seen and the unseen." I'm so thankful that God was riding with me and protecting me last night. Thank you for all your emails and calls. There's no place like Butler/Reynolds, and no treasure greater than family, friends and people who care for each other like we do here. Have a Merry Christmas.

I just returned from talking to Lisa, and looking at the car. When I saw the hole in the door, I would have bet $100 that it was .45 hardball. Someone had told me that the slug looked like a .38. Lisa confirmed to me that the Sheriff identified it as a .45. She and I talked for 30 minutes or so. We know that there is a lot of gang activity over in that area, so it is entirely possible that it was part of some black thug gang initiation. It is just as possible, however, that it was young, white, peckerwood "deer hunters" out drinking and joy-riding. Most anyone from the South will know what I mean by "peckerwoods." Used to be called white trash.

The bullet impacted about 24 to 30 inches behind Lisa. She said she was probably going 70 mph at the time, so we are talking about a minimum "closing speed" of 120 mph or so. I don't know how easy it is to place a shot under those circumstances. I guess she is very lucky. The slug penetrated the door of the Honda SUV and she found it in her groceries.

All this happened less than a mile off I-75, in a rural area about 100 miles South of Atlanta.

·
Registered
123 Posts
There are some definite crazy's out there. I had a co-worker claim he was hit from behind at night once. He was driving down a straight country road at night, and suddenly noticed headlights getting closer behind at an alarming rate right before being rear-ended and shoved into the ditch where the car flipped over multiple times. Bad guys just kept on going. Fortunately for my co-worker, he walked away with some scrapes and bruises, the totaled car was the worst of it.

Also, we had that copycat outerbelt shooter shortly after the DC sniper incident a few years back (Ohio).

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
There's gangs in rural areas 100 miles south of Atlanta? :scratch:

I'm glad your friend is okay. Sadly there's just no way to avoid situations like this. That could happen to anyone, anywhere, at anytime, or never at all.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We had something similar happen 2 years ago. I was in grad school, and my wife, I, and our 5 month old daughter were living in an apartment complex. Decent neighborhood, and our complex was mostly occupied by elderly and retired people.

My in-laws came to visit us for the weekend, and parked their car on the side street in front of the complex. In the morning, father-in-law and I walked out to their car to bring in some more stuff, and we found a bullet hole in the driver's door. The bullet went through the door, through the center console, hit the passenger door panel, shattered the door handle, bounced back, and was laying on the passenger seat. It was a 9mm FMJ. Scary; the bullet's path was exactly where the driver would have been sitting, and possibly the passenger as well. Whoever had done it had fired directly toward one of the apartment buildings. Weirdly, no one heard a gunshot the night before.

What pissed me off even more was when the cop arrived to check it out. He said they had probably already caught the kids who had done it: apparently these boys had been driving around all night shooting out business windows with a 9mm. I told the cop I hope these little bastards get taught a good lesson. What made me mad was when he responded that he was more concerned about how they got a gun in the first place. I informed him that that was hardly the point here, as these kids were obviously going to commit vandalism anyway; what was going to stop them from stealing a gun from someone? I was especially angry that these kids were firing directly toward occupied structures, mine included, and the cop just didn't seem to think that was a big deal.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I grew up on a farm in New Jersey years ago, and it was a pretty rural area - 20 min to the nearest movie theatre, etc. A bunch of kids in the high school were trash, but liked to imitate the cities. Even in a rural areas, you get little ganster-wannabe's who will do almost anything to prove their bonafides to their moron friends; they dress in gang colors (even though they never even met anyone in a gang), act like hoods, etc - it can happen anywhere

·
Registered
627 Posts
About 6 years ago there was a shooter in southern Ohio that targeted people around the I-270 highway. He was pretty amateurish and mainly sprayed cars with, if I remember right, a rifle, can't recall the caliber or if it was even released. He got linked to about 12 different shootings injuring a couple and killing a 60+ year old grandmother.

So I know the fear of just traveling with random shootings.

On a side note I was pulled over 2ce because of this because my car matched the suspect's car description and at the time I was working the graveyard shift of 8pm to 4am at FedEx. It being winter and me having a black coat and toboggan I know why I got pulled over, because of the shootings. I even told the officer and thanked him for at least trying to catch the perp. He gave me a warning for the license plate light not being on (his reason for pulling me over) and let me go.

Unfortunately the second time the cop didn't take to it to well. Dunno what it was but he gave me a citation for 1 of the 2 license plate lights being out (legally I only needed 1 on and it had to be visible) and told me to take back roads next time to "prevent" this from happening again. As tired and grumpy as I was I tried to give him respect, as I always do, and later contested the ticket and made a complaint to the department. I got an apology from the department and was told it was not his first complaint.

·
Registered
371 Posts
when i first moved down here to louisania there was a guy in a blue pickup running motorcycles off the freeway. it went on for almost 6 months, and he was never caught.

its just as dangerous nowadays to be in your car as in the hood.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think you all off track a little on the whole "Gangs are only in big cities" thing. I was a CO in a juvenile correction facility in Kansas that was full of people who murdered sold crack, shot each other, and killed people. some of the gang bangers where from LA, NY, and " The dirty Sowth". I dont hink this is just "kid pretending to do what they saw on TV". These are real gangs organized by the originals. Aint no safer in Kansas that Cali, maybe worse. In the county I grew up in they only had 2 sheriff deputies on over night, and you could ussually find em parked side by side 2 miles from he court house, which is 20 minutes from my door. So at best I would have a 20 minute response time.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I'm glad she is okay.

The fact that things like this really happen is a scary realization.My wife took the car to work tonight and just called to tell me she was going to be late, halfway through reading this thread, the first thing i said was "are you okay?" theres security (for what its worth) at the mall so I'm slightly less concerned about her in the parking lot (where I'm usually waiting, cocked and locked).She has to drive through some rather "not nice" neighborhoods on the way home.Dammit i wish she would carry

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
There's gangs in rural areas 100 miles south of Atlanta?
There are gangs everywhere. If you think you don't have them where you live, you're probably wrong.

I've been certified in gang investigation. A word that they would not let us use was "wannabe's". They called them "gonnabe's", and considered them some of the most dangerous, because they're the ones that really think they have something to prove.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Glad you're safe. I hate when I here stories like this, it reminds me of the time when my friend, and Navy Lieut., Scott Kinkele was killed driving back to base.

I always think of him when i hear stories like this. The people who shoot at other cars are nothing but COWARDS!

If anyone cares to pay their respects and get pissed at the same time, feel free.

Redlevel, glad your friends are safe

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/skinkele.htm

·
Registered
48 Posts
No one mentioned why she didnt think about reporting this to the police.

Just seems obvious to me that if i thought a passing car threw a bottle at me id be on the phone.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Glad you're safe. I hate when I here stories like this, it reminds me of the time when my friend, and Navy Lieut., Scott Kinkele was killed driving back to base.

I always think of him when i hear stories like this. The people who shoot at other cars are nothing but COWARDS!

Doesn't really matter if they are cowards or not you can still end up just as dead. Even in personal attacks, they usually blindside someone.

If anyone cares to pay their respects and get pissed at the same time, feel free.

Redlevel, glad your friends are safe

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/skinkele.htm
These type of punks aren't looking for a fight, they are looking for a win.

·
Registered
14,940 Posts

I'm glad your friend is okay. Sadly there's just no way to avoid situations like this. That could happen to anyone, anywhere, at anytime, or never at all.
I have an old friend who lives in Byron, which is near Warner Robins/Ft. Valley. Ever hear of Ft. Valley State College? Average I.Q. of attendees probably around 85. ;)

I live 200 miles S. of Atlanta in a small, rural town. We've had gangs here for years. 99.9999999999999999% of crime here is committed by the demographic that populates those gangs.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Glad your neighbor is ok.

I watched a documentary a while back about gangs. One of the last places I would have thought that gangs would be present is Anchorage, Alaska. Serious problem there. Is no place sacred anymore??

·
Registered
158 Posts
Nowhere is safe. Good friend and coworker of mine was held up sitting in his truck, dude popped off a shot as my bud was trying to back up away and the bullet (.25 i think) went in his chin, out the side of his neck and into the passenger door. Happened in LaGrange, GA, not far from the OP's incident. He drove away for a minute and met the LE and paramedics on a bridge, was life-flighted to Atlanta and back at work 4 days later (Friday to Tuesday). It's crazy out there now.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Glad your neighbor is ok.

I watched a documentary a while back about gangs. One of the last places I would have thought that gangs would be present is Anchorage, Alaska. Serious problem there. Is no place sacred anymore??
Nope. Not to these bastiges.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts