1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Nice M48 yugo mauser these are awesome. I have a few tucked away. I found one still NIB at a local pawn shop.

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
Nice long gun F. How much work did ya put into makein it so nice? Have ya sent any rounds down range? :)
Dave.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have only shot it once, it sits above the fireplace as you see it.

I treated the stock with Teakwood oil, besides that she is the way I got her.

I have been thinking about selling her but every time I look at her I change my mind, lol.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
I haven't shot mine yet, its still NIB. I have shot my yugo model 98 8mm mauser. Its a german 98k captured after the war with the german markings ground off and the yugo markings put on it. On the receiver it says "model 98" and "preducci 44" thats a dead give away its a german 98k with the yugo markings. Its a german 98k in yugo clothes at a yugo price. All of the newer 8mm mausers are manufactured on the orginal german machinery too.

Many years ago the yugo model 98 8mm mauser was my very first military surplus purchase. After many hours of looking thru military surplus rifles from just about every country I chose the yugo 98 for just $79. We were lucky enough to have a gun shop nearby who had every military surplus gun from every country. He had 20' racks of cosomoline coated mausers, mosin ect.

Don't sell her because you probably will regret it if you do. I won't part with anything because i plan on leaving them to my family members when i pass on this way my great great grandchildern will enjoy the hobby i started. And who knows by then what they will beable to buy or own, i hope they will be grandfathered in. :rock:

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Keep the stock treated. It'll dry out over the fireplace.
Good looking rifle.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
They kind of call the m48 a 98. The m48 has a shorter length bolt body. This can be a problem if you have an older m48 and your doing a build using the receiver. Your kind of limited to the 57mm in length of the round. Plus or minus a few milimeters. Some of the 98k bolts are interchangable with the other 8mm mausers too. I noticed one day the german 98k bolt interchanges perfectly with the Turk 38 8mm mauser. Even the headspace was ok too.

For doing builds on a mauser platform they offer a longer magazine too for the longer rounds. I believe there are 3 different bolt lengths on the 8mm mausers depending on the country/model.

I picked up a german WW2 98k 8mm mauser from Century arms a while back they had a sale on them. The nazi markings were ground off but i got lucky in the crap shoot mine had a few nazi eagles left on it.

At one time the 8mm mauser was more powerful than the 30-06 during WW2. The gun powder the germans used in the 8mm round isn't manufactured anymore. Most of the new 8mm ammo for hunting isn't loaded anywhere near the german specs nor has the power of a true 8mm round. Mainly because the ammo manufacturers are afraid of the law suits if anything happens when you shoot there ammo in an older surplus military rifle. I have shot the PMC 170gr 8mm ammo with great accuracy and i guess it has decent power but i never tested in wet sand.

One thing that most don't realize is about shooting light and heavy bullets. The heavier bullet takes longer to get going once its fired causing a higher breech pressure in the chamber while the lighter bullet takes a shorter time to get going because of the lighter bullet thus less breach pressure. It sounds like comparing apples to apples but i'm comparing the 196gr 8mm round to the lighter turk 8mm round.

For lots of info about the 8mm round and the turk and surplus ammo go to; www.turkishmauser.com/

A few more mauser sites are. www.mausercentral.com and www.carbinesforcollectors.com (pull up a chair a drink because of lots of reading and pics) Its great for a cold winters night.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts