1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[sorry for the cross post]

Sent my Stainless back to the factory after a friend of mine had it double on him twice in 50 rounds. They turned it around and had it back to me within 4 business days.
First off, they marked it as "can not duplicate condition". We had suspected that my friend was hammering the trigger weird to cause this to happen. The report from Kimber appears to confirm this, although I'm still a little suspicious. They also replaced the grip safety - as a precaution I suspect.

In any case, the last item on the worksheet was "trigger group, adjusted". You'll have to excuse my ignorance - but what does this mean?

Also - on the worksheet they checked off "Test Fired - No Malfunction". How many rounds do they typically put through the gun to determine there was no malfunction? 100? More? Less?

I picked up 200 rounds of UMC ready to hit the range after Thanksgiving. I figure if it works smoothly for 200, my confidence level will jump considerably. If I get a double or other significant malfunction - this gun is toast. I just won't ever be able to trust it.

·
Banned
217 Posts
I wish you well. UMC is some of the worst ammo I've used. The stuff doesn't have a crimp. So don't be shocked if you get some jams where the slide doesn't go into battery.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh. At this point, I'd be absolutely tickled pink if the worst thing I got was a jam.

In 2 range trips totalling maybe 350 rounds, I've had one case rupture (kB!), and 2 doublings. Not a single ftf/fte, though :/

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Originally posted by dla:
I wish you well. UMC is some of the worst ammo I've used. The stuff doesn't have a crimp. So don't be shocked if you get some jams where the slide doesn't go into battery.

Yeah I had some UMC blow up one of my guns. It was brand new and had less than 100 rounds through it.

Send it to the gun manufacturer with the gun to repair and I had them verify it was the bullet that caused the damage and then had it sent to UMC. They agreed with Glocks and my finding that the problem was caused by bad ammo. I found other bullets in the case I bought with no crimp and the bullet would seat further into the case. Not a lot of force was needed to get the bullet to seat in all the way.

I won't use UMC anymore. No matter how good the price is.

Ross T.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By "no crimp" you mean no visible seam where the inside end of the bullet sits in the cartridge?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts