1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK well the front pin of my rear sight broke on my Patriot. Why i don't understand but it did..

I called DW and they sent me a new one. :) thank you very much.

So i got said new pin and proceed to take old pin out, mistake # 1.

mistake # 2 was pulling the punch out of the hole..

Now getting that pin in was a challenge but i managed..

So what i'm asking is what's the PROPER way to do it ?? cause i get the feeling i'm going to have to replace it again..and don't want to struggle like i did this time.

Bomar adjustable rear.

And can anyone speculate why the pin would break? i can't imagine why it would be stressed to the point of snapping in the middle, which it did.

thanks
Jeff.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hey Jeff..!!

I read - and re-read your post..? Which pin broke? If I *think* I understand - the pin through the front as a hinge (lever pin) to the base and a sight riser is pressed in - so if that's the one - you are OK, and your fix should be fine.

The "pin" retaining the sight height screw (into the base) is different and I believe is spring loaded, but I'm not sure which one broke?

Post back on which pin, OK?????

Best to you!!!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JD

sorry did not even think of the pin on the adjustment screw..

No this was the one that goes through the hinge point on the front of the sight, as you said it would be the Lever pin.

In the middle of the riser part of the sight there is a spring that presses against the pin from back to front. When i pulled the punch that spring didn't POP out but now i had to push it back so i could get the lever pin back in.. not fun.. there must be a "right" way to do this.

Jeff.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Mine broke from the factory on my RZ #16. DW fixed it right away when I sent it back in. Bob commented that they may have gotten some overly hard pins a while back. Call DW and ask them what to do.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hey Jeff..!

If it were me - I'd probably have used the new pin to press out the old pin. As the new pin slides in, the spring would be "kept", rather then releasing tension without a pin in place, as happened when you punched the old pin out....

As well - and since I'm somewhat neurotic - I would have probably put a tiny dab of loctite around the last edge of the new pin just before seating it flush with the base - just to ensure it doesn't drift during use. But - then again - not everyone is as neurotic as I am - which is probably a good thing :D :confused:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL JD..

your not neurotic, you just don't want your stuff falling apart !.. lol..

I thought of that but two things stopped me. One that pin is in there perty tight... and two there was a notch in the pin where the spring will insert itself into holding the pin.

I don't understand why it broke, but Hey DW sent me a new one it's in.. have to check the alignment just in case but it should work fine now.

Thanks.. and next time and I hope this does not happen, i'll use the pin as a punch or leave the punch in and push it out with a pin.. :)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hey HJ!!!

Well - I am neurotic - and sometimes my stuff still falls apart - which leads to greater depths of neurosis ... Welcome to my nightmare!!! ;)

Also - do not use the new pin as a punch- it should be pressed in.. Take a padded vise and use a holed blank (for the pin that will be pressed out) on the opposite side. Line up the detent on the new pin with the spring - and press it in - ensuring it's straight....

If you try to use it as a punch you may break the new pin (they are hardened) - or you will roll the edge over - so it won't seat flush, or.. Well - you get the idea.....

Oh - about the loctite. You can use that regardless. And if you do - well - again - "welcome to my world".. :D :) :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts