1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could have swarn the one I saw at my lgs had a dot. The one I finally got doesn't. Just wondering if I got an older model. Its got the silver lettering, not the huge billboard or the new smaller emblem on the slide. It also came with the black grips, was kinda hoping for the wood.

Probably just touch it up with a paint of some sort to make it "pop" a bit more until new funds are "found". Pics to come when I log on a computer. Cant for the life of me figure out jow to upload on my phone.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Retaining pin required? I'm not sure if it will always be my front sight and the last thing I need is an extra hole in my gun that wasn't originally meant for it.
No. Its likely not needed.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Cool thanks for the info. I'm from the philosophy, "if it ant broke don't fix it."

I'll update once I get to the :rock:range and let some lead fly.
I think pin is a good idea. All my Springfield uses them, and there is absolutely no worries of it coming lose.

But I think red loctite would be just as effective(I know I had a hell of a time to get front sight on my 10mm to move. It was loctitied...

Besides, I never had front loosen up. Its always the rear sight that I had a issue with anyway.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
Probably just touch it up with a paint of some sort to make it "pop" a bit more
some kind of wild lime green nail polish is what I've been using lately.
Found it at Sally's Beauty .
I walked in and looked at the hundreds and hundreds (literally) they had on the racks and grabbed the one that "jumped out" the brightest and loudest to my eyes

I don't bother with a "dot" either, I paint the whole face of the front blade.
Even some of my fiber optic sights get nail polish on face around the rod

..L.T.A.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
how effective is Loctite on front sights??

I've often wondered how Loctite can be effective on the front sight?

being that heat is used to break the bond....
when shooting more than a couple Bill Drills, the barrel (and slide) get pretty hot.

One would think it would render the Loctite useless ..
or am I missing something ??:scratch:

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I've often wondered how Loctite can be effective on the front sight?

being that heat is used to break the bond....
when shooting more than a couple Bill Drills, the barrel (and slide) get pretty hot.

One would think it would render the Loctite useless ..
or am I missing something ??:scratch:

..L.T.A.
Barrel gets hot, yes. Slide not so much

According to Loctite corp, temperatures of 325F and above is needed to break down a standard anaerobic, 500F for high temperature Anaerobics

I've never checked. But no way slide gets that hot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts