1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little help. I bought a used SA Milspec earlier this year that has a set of Ashley Pro express sights. I am looking for replacement sights. I measured the width of my front dovetail at .337.

I'd like to get some Novak tritium sights, but the dovetail width is .330. I looked in Brownell's and did not find any sight that was any larger. Anyone know of a sight that would fit my cut? If not, what can I do to make the Novak fit? Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Hays (edited 07-12-2001).]

·
Registered
364 Posts
Well, if you have your heart set on the Novak, you could always have the dovetail cut welded, and recut.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hays How did you measure your dovetail? If you measured with a pair of wires and did the trig, and have a factual measurment then you will have to do the same with the sight. I just measured a new Novak.Just measuring across the bottom of the dovetail it came out .326". But it has flats on both sides ,does not come to a point. Measuring across a pair of wires and doing the trig yeilded a measurment of .336". So you may be O.K. . Are you sure of the dovetail angle? 60 deg./65deg.?
Hope this helps.

------------------
Scott D. Mulkerin

www.sdmfabricating.com

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scott: A friend measured my cut for me with dial calipers. I do know that the cut must be larger than .330. I recently ordered a set of Ed Brown fixed sights. The front sight fits in a 65° x .330" x .075" cut. This sight easily slid from left to right all the way through the dovetail cut.

Newton: Do you know what it might cost me to weld and re-cut the dovetail?

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sorry....I don't know how much. I'm sure the price varies from smith to smith anyways. If you can, make some inquiries in here, or at pistolsmith.com, and I'm sure you'll get some responses.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had the same problem, and am posting what I did. I hope you will comment on this technique for installing a .330 front sight into a dovetail that is slightly too big.

First, I spread a thin layer of release agent over a perfectly flat surface, the top of a tin can. Then I mixed up some JB Weld and placed a dollop on top of the release agent and spread it out flat. Then I marked up the bottom of the sight with a file, using X shapes. Then I dropped my .330 sight into the JB Weld and had a beer.

When I came back, the JB Weld had cured. I peeled the fifty-cent-piece sized dollop off the can lid and trimmed away the excess JB Weld with an exacto knife.

Note that the angle of the sight's dovetail must be preserved by trimming the angle at an angle, not straight up and down. This will enlarge the "footprint" of the sight.

What I had then was a front sight with a perfectly flat layer of JB Weld on the bottom. I let this cure in the sun all day and did no more work for 48 hours.

Then I tried to put it in the front dovetail, and the fit was tight! I ended up removing a tiny bit of the layer of JBW, and drifting the sight in with a nylon punch and a hammer and that son of a gun is in to stay, knock on wood.

Comments?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Ledbetter,

Wow, you really screwed things up. What were you thinking?!?

ONE beer? Please don't tell me you stopped at ONE BEER?

Billy Ray

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Hays
If your stuck we make a couple sight blanks
that the gunsmith's use in such cases.

I "think" some of the guys have a bench mill, and may not go through with a 1/4" endmill before they use a dovetail cutter. So they end up with a cut from going through and back that is .336 or so. We make our std. dove front to .339 so you have to fit them.
Also DR Middlebrook got the "great" idea to use a bomar cutter for his front sight ( I like DR a Lot, just would prefer he used a more std .330) anyway we also make a .375 that will fit all but the uglyest cuts

geo ><>

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks George. I sent you an e-mail asking for more details.

I do have a general question: If I purchase a sight blank, can I send it off somewhere to have a tritium insert added? If yes, where might I send it, and what would it cost? Thanks for everyone's help.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just wanted to brag on George Smith at EGW. You will never work with a more courteous or responsive individual. He fixed me up. Once I placed my order, he cut a ramp for my sight and had it out the door in a couple of days. He is also very prompt in all of his correspondence. Due to his great customer service attitude and EGW's reputation for quality gunsmithing, I will definitely give them first crack at any future work I want done to my pistol. Thanks George.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts