1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning while at the range, between the 63rd and 64th shots, the front sight blade separated from the dovetail base and ended up about 9 feet behind my position. Examination of the fracture zone indicates that 2/3 of the fracture was an old break (darker than the remaining 1/3). Had anyone ever seen a sight break in this manner?

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Never seen a HP lose half a front sight. Is it a new gun or one you bought "used"? Maybe it was dropped at some point, partially shearing the sight.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
It's a small world.... it happened to me exactly as you describe about 1 month ago. I called Browning to bitch and they said the sight was machined from a single piece and so it couldn't happen. I guess they were full of it. By the way, Brownells sells the Millett replacement for that sight (I already had one put in... another $50 in to the bottomless pit of my HP).

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, it was bought new in '95. Never dropped while in my possession. There were two areas indicating old breakage; the larger portion in front of the new break and a smaller portion behind the new break, for a total old break of 2/3 of the attachment area to the dovetail base. That indicates to me that the part was flawed. Got a Brownell's catalogue on the way.

It appears that I have about 11,000 rounds through this pistol with no maintenance expense to date, so I can't really complain about that, but it just seems like such an unlikely place and way to break a front sight.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Hmm, might be worth posting on;

http://www.fnhipower.com

Be interesting to see if any others have had this happen in the way you describe. I would be surprized with the front sight "parting" in this way on any pistol; but especially a Hi-Power.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yup... had the same thing happen to my High-Power Practical last year. Bought it brand new in 98' never dropped. Gave me the opportunity to put night sights on it though.

Hans

1 - 7 of 7 Posts