1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a buddy with a SA GI model that wants to put on a serrated front ramp (King or Millet), but it's staked-on. Does anyone have an opinion as to the quality and durability of a staked-on front sight?

Is there a way to do it that will make it hold up to duty and concealed carry use? He asked me how hard it is to put one on, and I'm just not sure, so I thought I'd ask the pro's. There's a special tool for it, right?

Eric

·
Registered
157 Posts
A properly staked on front sight is forever. Yes, you need a tool, but the trick is to bevel the opening on the inside of the slide, so the staked/peened portion of the sight has some place to go. Use a ball-end grinder on a dremel and carefully bevel the edges of the sight slot.

Degrease, apply some loctite, and then follow the staking tool instructions. I prefer the MMC that fits in the slide, rather than the cheaper anvil/plate that you hammer when the slide is upside down.

·
Registered
149 Posts
If you are doing the job yourself, I would go for the Millett since this is of a somewhat softer metal and is easier to peen with the slide upside down.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
I have to disagree with Patrick

Wile his method is perfect and works great, the next step up is to also sliver solder instead of locktite. (provided your going to blue the slide which is not always the case)

the sight is so much bigger than the origional GI. the 1911 sight broke off from time to time so the 1911 A1 sight has a larger stake. but it is still small compaired to the size and weight of the rest of the sight. IIRC the springfield stake is larger than the colt at .075 but they still come off over time. (not that I have not seen dovetail sights come loose and break also)

geo ><>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts