1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1911 built by a Marine armorer. It has a dovetail front sight and BOMAR rear. I am having trouble getting daylight around the front sight. It measure .125 thickness and is manufactured by Heine. The "window" on the Bomar seems small. Any recommendations on what to do. New front sight about .090 would be nice if I could use the same dovetail. I don't need night sights but would a white dot maybe help. I am 47 and do not see as well as when I was 27 Thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Open the notch on the rear blade of the Bomars...

The guy built it tight, for Bullseye/match, they don't like much gap in there...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much would it cost to have the front sight done and could this be done so just the slide could be sent. There are no good smith locally so sending it off would be the only way.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Since the front is a Heinie, how about starting there.
www.heinie.com
1-877-SIGHTS1 (1-877-744-4871)

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I recently had a fiber optic front sight installed on my STI Trojan. Sent the slide to Dawson Precision and they installed in a few days and sent it back. It looks great and is super bright! They make both a .125 and a .090 version. I got the .090 and it is fast to pick up with the STI (Bo-mar copy) rear sight.

www.dawsonprecision.com

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Jaydee is right on Lawdog. Take a fine swiss file and remove metal from one side of the sight until it looks good to you. Take a cuetip and touchup the area with some blue, oil, and you're done. As for the white dot; if you intend to shoot bullseye with it, you'll find the full black front is best. For fast sighting the white does help some people, but if the piece is intended for defense (like in your house or business) believe me you will not need a front sight if you have to use it.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Lawdog!! I made a mistake. I suggested you remove metal from one side of the sight...I neglected to say "rear sight." Sorry about that.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Easiest method is to go to a local smith or machine shop and have them shave it to whatever you desire. I personally perfer mine with Bomars between .80-.85 .

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I have deceided to put the slide in a vise and take a file to the front sight. Thanks for all the suggestions, if I screw it up a new front sight is cheaper than a new Bomar rear.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Lawdog. If you haven't taken a file to that front sight yet, please don't do it. Never having filed a front sight before, you will probably mar the slide top and, worse yet, break the sight. If you can take it out of the dovetail and back it up while filing, it'll come out a whole lot better. I don't know how it's mounted, but usually there's a pin holding it in place. You can drift that from inside the slide (hopefully) and then tap the sight out left to right with a brass punch. I still say a couple of strokes with a safe-side file on that BoMar notch will do exactly what you're looking for though...

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Just put a feeler gauge under the file and go slow and light...Little at the time will do ya'...There's a table in the Brownells catalog I think that tells the correct amount of height for sights at specific distance...As far as windage well, same thing just go slow...get some cold blue for after...When you're done, if it's not what you want, try a fibre optic up front. It was the best improvement in my shooting since I started reloading...At 47 the eyes have lost a bit of sensitivity...sure was (literally) night and day for me... http://www.brazoscustom.com/
He's got some good stuff, the real good fibre refills as well...EGW, lots of guys have good designs...

Let us know how it turns for ya'...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Order a "safe" file, smooth on one side from Brownells and took a bit off each side of the rear sight. Worked great, a little cold blue and I was on my way to the range for a Wednesday night shoot. Thanks for all the advice..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Im sorry guys but I must dissagree

DO NOT start filing your exspensive Bomar rear site.

Just go to a gunsmith in your area and pick a front site out of the Brownells catalog that has a narrower blade and pay the 35 bucks or so, its not worth messing up and having to buy a new Bomar.

Hell you can find front sites fro as littel as 15 dollars

------------------
"KNEES IN THE BREEZE"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts