1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a full size SA loaded with Novak low mount night sights. before even shooting it, I replaced the 2 piece Guide Rod with a Wilson 1 piece and shok-buff. With factory reload ammo (230 ball) this things grouping 3 to 4 inches low at 7 yards. My questions are these.

1. Could replacing the GR and using a Shok-buff cause this grouping?

2. I noticed the plug that came with the Wilson is shorter, would this affect anything?

3. Would a lighter bullet shoot higher? I'm thinking about carrying 165gr. Cor-bon powr-ball in this gun.

4. What is the factory front sight height that SA uses (I think I measured it at .175")?

5. Should I replace the front sight with a .160"? Is this the correct sight I would order (see link)? http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=21227&title=SEMI-AUTO+TRITIUM+DOVETAIL+FRONT+SIGHT

6. Should I try shooting a bunch of different makes and bullet weights of ammo before replacing the front sight?

Right now I'm leaning towards the .160" front sight option. I tried to file down the one on there and maybe got it down to .170". I would actually prefer the gun to shoot a little high as I tend to shoot low right due to trigger jerk (left handed). Thanks for any insight on this matter.

· Registered
23,953 Posts
1. No
2. No
3. No. A lighter bullet will normally shoot lower on the target because it generates less recoil movement while still in the barrel. Trajectory is not very significant at pistol ranges.
4. I don't know. You got what you got. If it measures .175" that is where you start figuring.
5. I think THINK that SA uses Novak dimensions of .330" x 65 deg x .070". If you want Tritium, do some more filing and shooting before you pick a height and pay for it, you can't cut much if any on a night sight. More work will likely be required, see below.
6. Yes, figure on picking a load and sticking with it. See No 5.

But, BUT... a .160" front sight is not going to make the correction you need. A .015" lower front sight will only raise the point of impact at 7 yards by half an inch. (.015" sight movement)/7" sight radius = (.54" POI change)/(7 yard range) For three inches of change at 7 yards you need a .083" sight adjustment. That would leave you with a nubbin of front sight. What is required is a combination of a lower front and a taller rear. Nowlin makes a taller rear sight of the Low-Mount design, intended for the shorter guns but useful in cases like yours.
Contact Springfield, they will usually work with people on sights.
And try to practice out of jerking the trigger instead of setting the sights to allow for it.

EDIT: Nowlin, did I say Nowlin sight? I meant Novak. There are others that fit the funky dovetail, MMC, the Novak adjustable that jlmurphy has, and a Springfield adjustable that looks like a copy of a Bomar leaf on a Novak base. You could run one of those up high enough to suit.

· Registered
162 Posts
I replaced the stock Novak sights on my Loaded with Novak's extreme duty adjustable rear sight and sight elevation is no longer a problem. The sight looks exactly the same as the stock sight, but is adjustable. The only drawback is that it requires machining a step ahead of the rear dovetail. It is available from Brownell's.

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the sight info. I'm going to try a few things first before I invest any $$. I find it strange that a NIB gun would shoot that low at a mere 21 feet. There has to be other factors involved.

· Registered
238 Posts
Hi Dump1567, I had the exact same problem as you with my new SA Loaded! I called SA and they said send it to them and they will fix it. I sent it to them and they installed a shorter front sight and enclosed their test target with it apon return! It shoots POA-POI now and is fine. However after talking to some gunsmiths I have found out that Novak has a rear sight that is made for the 3" to 3.5" brl. pistols which is .050" taller than the ones that come on our loaded models and they work fine also. When I was purchasing my loaded model I do remember compairing the rear sight on it to the rear Novak on the TRP at the store and the TRP rear sight was taller!!!
Call SA, they will make it right!!
jungle is right in that it is a common thing for alot of loaded and mil-spec SA's to shoot low.

· Registered
80 Posts
You didn't mention about the "normal" break in of 500 rounds? Or did I miss that?
Most guns take a little time & rounds to loosen up a bit.

I'd shoot it MORE - then follow the other leads up.

Just my .45 cents worth...

I have replaced my Novak with an adjustable http://www.springfield-armory.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=221
ordered from Springfield - because I was having problems with the Novak shaking loose. The replacement fits very tight, and will never come loose!

Good luck.

· Registered
159 Posts
Dump1567:

I just bought a new Loaded with Novak night sights and it's shooting about 2.5" low at 15 yds. I called Customer Service today and learned the "stock" front sight is .180. The Novak front sights also come in .160 and .140 and a change from .180 to .160 is supposed to raise POI by 3.5" at 25 yds. (I believe that's what she said.) Springfield will change the front sight under warranty and all you have to send is the slide. Obviously, they can't test fire it, if you do it that way.

Good luck, I'm sure Springfield will make it right.

Chas.

· Registered
347 Posts
Low shooting SA

I am surprised by all the responses that have been posted about SA correcting their low shooting pistols. I wrote them about my low shooting Champion and they did not even give me the courtesy of a reply.

John

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've opted to go the adj. MMC route. This way, I can adjust POI for whatever ammo I use. I also decided to buy the .160 front. Hopefully I can sell the Novaks to help off-set the price. I know I could have sent it to SA, but I like to do things myself. Now I just need to clean-up that trigger a little bit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.