1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just received a Bomar wide tenon serrated front sight for my NRM Colt Government. Looking at the sight from the side, the tenon is Y-shaped. At about .065 down, the tenon straightens out. The total length of the tenon is about .180.

I was not expecting it to be Y-shaped, or quite so long. I have never seen one or installed one before, and I am planning on doing it myself at some point.

The sight also seems a little long to me. The base is about .575. It is longer than the flat portion of my round top slide. To fit it correctly would I just need to shape the underside of the sight to match the round top of the slide?

I have two additional questions.
1. Is the Y-shape normal? Will it fit my slide?
2. Is there a similar front sight (serrated, wide tenon, “improved ramp” style) that is
slightly shorter and won't extend past the flat portion (which
is about .490)?

Thanks in advance.

--tdow

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
The "Y" is normal, and it is intended to be a tad long so that you can stake it into the little crater you grind into the mouth of the hole (inside the slide tunnel).
And yes, you'll need to put a little 'flat' on top of the slide to accommodate the sight's length.
You can do this without tooling, but I'd strongly recommend you order Brownell's "Armorer's" staking tool and use it. It also comes with instructions on how to make the holding jig, which is really easy and very useful for hobbyists.

Bob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts