1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Front sight pin

Edited...

I see another thread asking the same about a FS pin.. I didn't look at it under a glass, but will do that this evening. It's probably a pin as well..

Further investigation (search DOH) reveals "the dreaded SA front sight issue".. Possibly I can "correct" it before the sight comes loose.. A little blue loctite possibly???

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok

OK... As you SpringField folks already knew, it's a roll pin. I looked at it under a glass 55+ eyes and it's clearly seen. A small hardened punch just a tad larger than the pin and a small pecker easily tapped it back in... too easily actually. I suspect it will have to be addressed eventually, but the longer I can wait the better. The sight is still tight and doesn'r show any movement of looseness at all. If nothing goes wrong with the pistol and it holds poa, I'll be temped to secure the pin with a dab of epoxy.

I spoke with my old friend Larry (Engineering machinist superb) and he told me what to do. He'll take a look at it if it continues to be problematic. After being involved with the instrumentation design stage for 25 years, I still prefer to get advice from a trusted machinist. For twenty years in research engineering I did the drawings and Larry made the parts. We both assembled them and worked together until everyone was satisfied...

That's the difference in college now and college in 1970-1980... anyhow... any comments??? Ron

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Red or blue Loctitie seems to be adhesive of choice for pin retention. Epoxy might be a little viscous to penetrate and not get extruded out. You might consider driving the pin all the way out (from inside the slide) flusing the hole with someting approprite that will evaporate, and then reinstalling with Loctite.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Exactly... I think I'll give that a try... Cheers.. Ron

Red or blue Loctitie seems to be adhesive of choice for pin retention. Epoxy might be a little viscous to penetrate and not get extruded out. You might consider driving the pin all the way out (from inside the slide) flusing the hole with someting approprite that will evaporate, and then reinstalling with Loctite.

I have a new pin to use if nessessary.. Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts