1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is there a perfect front strap/MSH treatment that would

• not abrade expensive dress shirts
  • not gouge your hands during aggressive training sessions or big round count schools
  • not checkering
  • and performed by the SA Custom Shop

Does anyone have a stipple job pic done by the SA Custom Shop

My MC Operator is going back to SA and I want to make this gun perfect for me. The slide edges are too sharp for my taste and I will probably opt for the tool steel action (just because it makes me feel good. nothing wrong with my current factory set up)

Tone down grip tape offers the perfect front strap tackiness that I like, but I will wear my MC Operator for LEO plain clothes dress in a Desantis HRT and duty uniform. At 60$ a shirt, dont want the grip tape to fray the dress shirt or dress coat.

I have held a Ed Brown SF and like the chainlink and I think it would be the perfect all around gripping texture for both my dress options, but dont know if SAI offers that custom option.

I will call SAI tomorrow, just thought I would get a jump on it.

Any pics or info related to good or bad front strap and MSH texturing would be greatly appreciated.

My Colt Series 70 has a sweet stipple job that is not aggressive and it would be perfect for my carry intentions, however I dont know if SAI can duplicate that particular job. I want SAI to perform all tasks to keep my warranty in tack.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
380 Posts
A good middle ground might be vertical serrations , I have them on my Colt and while they may not grab quite as aggresively as checkering they give a fair amount of stability to your grip without the abrasive texture associated with checkering. I'm sure SA does this and for less cost than some of the other options available.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I was thinking along the same lines (no pun intended); vertical serrations like those on my Mil-Spec MSH do the job without chewing up my hands.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I went with 25lpi checkering on my GI and it has been pretty nice. I don't know what it does to dress shirts, but compared to teh 20lpi on my TRP, it is just fantastic. I like vertical serrations too, though. That would look cool. There are also several smiths out there offering unique checkering, like the chain link or golf ball type.

·
Banned
7,484 Posts
One reason I selected an Ed Brown Kobra Carry pistol is the agressive-enough scales. Enough grip even during a shooting course in the rain with CLP oozing from the pistol. Just wiped it off every so often. Scales are a firm grip when you squeeze.

Brown won't do this for you, but other places can.

-- Chuck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts