1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why did I ever think I could hand cut perfect straight lines like the Pro’s do? Well, it was a lesson learned. Took me 10 hours, $175 for Marvel Jig and files and of all frames to try for the first time I picked a Stainless steel Kimber J that is made of harder steel then most other frames.

It is not as simple as one would think. Of course, it IS functional for grip but it is ugly when the lines are not perfect!
Here are a couple of pictures of ‘home checkering gone bad".
BEFORE

AFTER

Actually, my lesson learned is that if you want nice checkering, send it to a professional.

SO, what do you do now that a frame is messed up?

I made a call to George at EGW, had a good conversation with him. He said, “send it in J, we get alot of these and we can fix it. We EDM cut the front strap and weld a Checkered insert at 30lpi or 20 lpi, we re cut the bottom of the strap for the mag well relief and we can keep the radius on top, under the trigger guard. NO PROBLEM”
(George can give a more technical explanation of the process)
George and crew did a great job! They also touched up some other mess ups I had but those are top secret J

I think this close up picture speaks for itself, I also received phone calls with updates on the status. Nice and patient with explanations. These guys are very friendly and do great work with fast turn around.
Thanks George, Joe and Jim.
www.egw-guns.com

[This message has been edited by Shay (edited 11-09-2001).]

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
Hi Shay, George did a great job, it looks good!

------------------
Metal Smith

The only thing I know for sure is what I can measure!
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
some members have asked to see more pictures of this, a year later it is holding up very well, people dont believe me when i tell them it is an insert :)

Here is the Hand checkering gone bad

Here is the Frame in the white with new Insert By EGW

Here is the finished gun in Cobra Coat by Tripp research

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Shay..

How is the Cobra coat holding up to handling and holster wear???

nice gun..good stuff by George and the crew..

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The "Cobra Coat" By Tripp is a litlle thicker then other Teflon Coatings I have had on guns such as Black-T, Roguard, Armur-Tuff
It has held up for me better then all the others, the only areas that show any wear are the high points by the muzzle from Holster work and the Barrel.

turn around for this was 5 days!!! cant beat that.

shay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts