1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than Talon Grips, is there any other company producing a stick on material for the front strap of a 1911? I’m sure I read about some kind of material that resembles stippling, but can’t recall where or what it was. Specifically I want it for a Colt Defender and would prefer a material that would blend well with the finish on the lightweight frame.

I’ve done some searching but was unsuccessful in locating anything, either on this site or through a Google search. Thanks in advance for your help. God bless.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,222 Posts
I like the 3M stair tape, which has a sort of rubbery, rather than sandy texture.
I've had a piece on one of my guns for over ten years, and it's still stuck tight.

I got a piece of tape, from an unknown source, that is white/clear sand on a clear tape, which is translucent and looks great on a stainless or plated frame.

·
Registered
21,919 Posts
I like the 3M stair tape, which has a sort of rubbery, rather than sandy texture.
I've had a piece on one of my guns for over ten years, and it's still stuck tight.

I got a piece of tape, from an unknown source, that is white/clear sand on a clear tape, which is translucent and looks great on a stainless or plated frame.
I used the nubbly rubber 3M in lieu of grit. I don't know where to get it now, the local hardware store closed up and big boxes like Lowes and Home Depot don't have it. Amazon, maybe.

I have seen advertisements for light colored tape, search around.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
The key to make them stay in place is heating them up with a hair dryer or something similar after putting them on, I use cooking stove and it works fine too.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I have skateboard tape on one of my pistols and it works really, really well. As outlined above, lots of options. Check 'em all out and see what you like the best!

·
Registered
6,425 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have coarse ladder tape on mine. Works well, feels good, and doesn't chew up my hand.

·
Premium Member
7,696 Posts
I use some grip tape that I bought in a huge rool from a local place. It’s 100 + feet for $8.00 and just cut it to fit. Peel the backing off it and it sticks like crazy!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I’ve used skate board tape before, but consistently between brands was a issue
I now using 3m stair tape which is similar to skate board tape but with a better adhesive

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got a precut set of 2 from Tractiongrips via eBay. Running one on a rotation carry compact that seems to work nicely. Applied after alcohol clean & then heated with hair dryer to “mold” in. Slight bit of initial trim was needed because they come fit for full / std grip frame.
Cost was like $6.00 for 2.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The key to make them stay in place is heating them up with a hair dryer or something similar after putting them on, I use cooking stove and it works fine too.
One can, if they measure accurately, tape a piece across the front strap and then secure the two ends under the grip panels. This pretty much covers the entire front strap and keeps it in place almost without fail.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts