1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Champion seems to have a bit more torque on recoil than I recall in my Colt Gov't. model. When I thought about it, the only place I really couldn't get a secure grip was the front strap.

Well, I was in Home Depot the other day for an air filter and there, staring me in the face, was the 3M outdoor tread tape. At $4 for the 1"x 5yd. roll I've got enough grip tape to last 10 years!

I was hesitant to try this for a long time and skeptical when I put it on but I can really tell a difference in how secure the grip is now.

Haven't been able to get to the range to try it in live fire yet, but I expect to see a major improvement in handling.

Thanks for bringing up the idea guys!

Mac

·
Registered
384 Posts
It works! I've had it on the front strap of a stainless Kimber for over a year; I use this gun in our club matches and the tape seems quite durable, showing no tendency for the corners to peel. I was able to find some in "concrete" color, and with a slightly rubberized texture, and it's very unobtrusive on a stainless gun.

------------------
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Slapshot -

Where do you start and end the tape? Did you cut the tape to start at the begining of the front strap radius on both sides or did you start at the edge of one grip pannel and wrap around to the edge of the other grip pannel.

Inquiring minds want to know as I plan on doing it to one of my 1911's.

MadDog

·
Registered
384 Posts
MadDog, I'm at work right now, so I can't actually look at my Kimber, but as I recall, the tape I bought was one inch wide; this isn't wide enough to reach from one grip panel to the other. I believe the edges of the tape fell just about right on the edges of the radiused part of the front strap. The only trimming I had to do was to cut the tape to length and round the corners so they wouldn't snag; I seem to recall that I made the top edge concave to fit the frame contour where the trigger guard joins the front strap.

I'll check when I get home tonight; if I find that any of the above is incorrect, I'll post again.

------------------
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
i used that tape befor and liked it. i taking my gripps off, and degreased...and applyed the tape. and reinstalled my gripp's, so that it would hold the edges, from ever peeling off. i now have my froint strapp and mainspring housing stippled". i did the stippling myself. and it turn out great. i like it better than tape.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Just recently did my Colt Gold Cup with grip tape. Got rid of the sorry wrap around rubber grips that came with it and put some nice Kingwood grips on. Went to one of the local skate board stores and got a 4" X 8" clear sheet of grip tape for free. Taped a piece of paper to front strap and marked and cut it out and used for a template. Put the cut out grip tape on and it looks good and is very functional. I've handled it a lot since and shows no sign of wearing, if it does, 10 minutes and a have a brand new one installed using the prevously made template.

------------------
There are 1911's and those that wish they were

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Someone posted a while ago about the grit rubbing off and getting into their gun. Have any of you seen this before?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Nathan -

I find that a little far fetched. If any of the Grit does rub off it will end up in the palm of your shooting hand, not your off hand used to cycle the slide. I can't see particles of grit flying off the tape while shooting, floating in the air, and landing anywhere in the internal working of your gun.

However, I suppose anything is possible but would bet you get much more grit inside your gun from your holster or from shooting at practice sessions.

MadDog

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've been using the tape for almost a year now. No grit wearing off. I used the 2" tape, and butted it up against by grip panels. It was too thick for a nice feel when I just laid it under fronts of panels.

I also have used the more rubberized gray tape. It felt more comfortable at first, but I found that I really liked the "grittier" feel of the black tape.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I tried some of the Menards nonskid tape. I've also tried skateboard tape in the past. I just went down to the basement and checked the skateboards (pretty recent vintage) and the tape that comes from the skate shops.

I've found that it CAN and does at some point start rubbing off. The little particles hang around on the gun (particularly when there's some moisture from a sweaty hand or lube) and have worked their way into the trigger of my 1911. Just as bad, I've found that it ended up inside of my Blade Tech Kydex holster, causing some knicks in the parkerized finish on the trigger guard, slide stop and top of slide.

This tape is not meant to be permanent, like checkering is. It is understood that it wears down. That's why skateboarders get their deck redone every now and again (if they haven't trashed the deck grinding parking blocks).

Those little "abrasive" particles have to go somewhere. They go where your fingers go on the gun (trigger, frame, etc.) and where gravity takes them (into your holster).

And they're just as abrasive on your parts and finish as they are on your digits.

YMMV. This is just my experience with it.

I'm probably going to give Wilson's frontstrap add-on a shot. I didn't expect it to look as good as it did, but after seeing brookstexas' gun, it's a cheap $9 experiment.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have found grip tape to be to agressive for my shooting taste. I shoot quite a bit and have no trouble with a smooth grip frame.
It is, however a neat experiment and is something that every 1911 owner should try for themselves. If you like the feel, then have your frame stippled or checkered. Shoot it first though. A few hundred rounds at least.
Daniel;-)

------------------
1 peter 5:8

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I had grip tape on a Colt Combat Commander XS and really liked it. The initial sharpness of the grit quickly passed and I was left with a nice roughened texture that provided the friction I needed.

On of the things I really liked about grip tape was that it is not permanent. You can change the shape of the tape put in the gun such that it covers more or less area and if the new changes aren't right, you can cut a new piece to go with how you had it originally.

Given the cost of the tape, cost of checkering, and the fact that I am not into aesthetics, I will probably never again pay to have checkering added to a gun if it comes without checkering.

As far as where to start and stop the tape, what we found is that you want to start itjust below where the trigger guard contacts the front strap at the point which the curvature of the front strap is uniform all the way down. Some guns have a small undercut under the trigger guard and you don't put the tape there because it is hard to keep the tape flush on the undercut and frontstrap. We then continued the tape down to about 1/8" from the bottom of the front strap. For the Colt, we found that a quarter could be used as a pattern guide at each end so that you end up cutting an oval with straight sides and curved ends. As it turns out, the width of the quarter closely matched the width of the front strap almost perfectly so that the tape went edge to edge very nicely. Each gun is different. As I recall, we did a Springfield and I believe we used a nickel as a guide since the strap was not as wide.

And, if you mess up, you are out maybe 10 cents worth of material (if you get the expensive stuff).

·
Registered
685 Posts
I replaced the Pachmayr rubber wrap-arounds that came with Frankenpistol with a pair of MD's excellent grips/stocks/whatever.
Afterwards, I noticed I couldn't control the torque as well as before. I finally got my happy *ss to Home Depot, bought $3 worth of 3M stair tape (enough to do a LOT of pistols) and had my pistol "roughed up" 10 minutes after getting home.

My first trip to the range after applying the tape was too much fun. Lots of good groups and quicker recovery between shots. I wish I'd done this months ago.

------------------
Steve "El Roto" G.

[This message has been edited by El Roto (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
953 Posts
Maclean3, If you bought 3M tracion tape the grain of the tape WILL NOT rub off. I put some on the front strap of a Ruger P95. It works better than a pumice stone for removing caluses on your hands! It helped with the Ruger, as I though the grip was excessively slick and Handalls just don't work for me! It won't peel off either if installed properly. I am hesitant to use it on any of my Colt's though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dudes! Skateboard tape! This is old story. I put some on this Kimber the day I bought it. It rides in a an IWB every day...thru rain and snow in winter and lots of sweat in summer. Lots of rounds downrange, and a training class or two. It is STILL like shark hide. Cheap. Easy. Functional. But, oh yeah, not real "high class" like 30 lpi checkering. Oh well! Stay safe.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by JRJ:
Maclean3, If you bought 3M tracion tape the grain of the tape WILL NOT rub off. I put some on the front strap of a Ruger P95. It works better than a pumice stone for removing caluses on your hands! It helped with the Ruger, as I though the grip was excessively slick and Handalls just don't work for me! It won't peel off either if installed properly. I am hesitant to use it on any of my Colt's though.
Yep, it's the same stuff El Roto just posted about. I'm sitting here looking at my Parkerized Champion with its Ahrends tactical checkered ebony grips and black grip tape sitting in its new black Milt Sparks Watch Six holster.

I didn't intend to set up an entirely black system, it just turned out that way. Have to say it looks great!

Mac

1 - 17 of 17 Posts