1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a look at my front porch shooting range & bullet trap. Catch anything from 22 cal to 44 mag.

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
Hey, that`s cool!! I have the luxury of being able to shoot in my front yard too. My wife does appreciate when I make the effort to at least step off the porch...it`s a covered deck and echos like crazy when on the deck.:dope:

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
That is cool

How thick is the steel back on that?
Do you have anything in the front to keep bullets from bouncing back at you?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steel on back is 3/8". All the bullets hit the angled back and slide down the angle into 6" of sand, The bottom is 1/4" but the bullets never reach it. Sides are 1/8". There is also a bafle welded to the bottem that is slanted upward about 10 degrees that keeps the sand toward the back. No bullets ever escape or bounce back. I use a piece of carpet behind the board that holds the targets just as an added safety measure. I also have a similar setup behind my shop that is much larger and it puts all of the bullets in the ground below it in an area about 6" by 12". Both work very well. The one in the front yard is going to be used in the shop for a warm place to shoot. The max distance in the shop will be 14 yards but what the heck. Renigeid

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Another version of my shooting trap, much larger. All bullets going into the ground at the rear of the trap. You can also see my 100 yard shooring trap waaaay back in the back ground for shooting in rifles. Ren

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Too Cool

Steel on back is 3/8". All the bullets hit the angled back and slide down the angle into 6" of sand, The bottom is 1/4" but the bullets never reach it. Sides are 1/8". There is also a bafle welded to the bottem that is slanted upward about 10 degrees that keeps the sand toward the back. No bullets ever escape or bounce back. I use a piece of carpet behind the board that holds the targets just as an added safety measure. I also have a similar setup behind my shop that is much larger and it puts all of the bullets in the ground below it in an area about 6" by 12". Both work very well. The one in the front yard is going to be used in the shop for a warm place to shoot. The max distance in the shop will be 14 yards but what the heck. Renigeid
I am going to have to build me one for inside my shop. My shop is only 40" long but I will build one a bit larger so I ca try moving around while I shoot.

That is a great idea. Perhaps you might market them. Provided a release is signed of course.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Renigeid

The one picture you has what certainly looks like a building of some kind in the background. do you have your back stop set out for photographic purposes only or do you shoot in that direction also?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What you are seeing in the background is a lake that is in my front pasture. The water and some rocks. Ren

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great trap. I would love to stand on your shoulders and build one like it. Do you have a design drawing you would share or sell?

·
Registered
31 Posts
greeeeen with envy- holy ****, you boys can go shoot wherever you want????????? holy crap that must be great, cup of joe, and walk out, rack it- shoot it, on your own land...you don't have to deal with a public range, $$, driving or a "club" where you have 44 old farts ragging about the IDPA QCB firing you're doing...nice deal, I wanna move to the country, hope you feel sad for us NYer's stuck in this sewer. oughhhhhhhhhhhhh
nice traps BTW...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.