1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Tisas 1911a1 US Army a couple months ago, put a couple hundred rounds through it, but am struggling. It has a smooth trigger at <5 lbs, and I let my Uncle shoot it yesterday(I have an acre of land and a range behind the barn) with fairly accurate results. Honestly I am being a bit harsh on myself, as I hadn't shot a pistol in 25 years before purchase, but in the Navy I was a good marksman at 50 yards. I can't afford instruction right now, so I am on my own. I'm baffled at how perishable shooting skills are, with a long hiatus. I've attached my latest target at 10-15 yards. Any tips? Thanks in advance!

Brian R.
Leaf Art Circle Recreation Symmetry

·
Registered
197 Posts
Doesn’t look too bad. Actually, I’d say pretty good. You might be jerking the trigger or you grip is slipping slightly after a few shots. Personally, I think more shooting and familiarity with the gun with solve any problem you might have. Mean while, enjoy the range time. 😎👍

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
With the mass amount of info video publications on the Web, I doubt you would have a problem finding instructions, to your liking.

I have not looked for such, but, I have found info on everything I have ever searched for, over the past decade plus!!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I practice with my Red Point Arms Laser Cartridges who sell at a fair price. Helps me focus on the front sight.
Another trick I learned from a Wilson Combat Video was to put my index finger pad on the trigger instead of the back side of the index finger knuckle joint, a common error. You can't believe how much using WC's trick increases accuracy.
Another item I have noticed with Laser Ammo is that sights are set to factor in recoil which makes the pistol move up. So, I need to aim higher than the target to hit it dead on with Laser Ammo.
I practice dominant hand, weak hand, and two hand concentrating on the front sight.
For me and my 68 year old eyes, Red Fiber Optic Front and Green Fiber Optic Rear works best.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Font Circle Parallel Slope Auto part

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a Tisas 1911a1 US Army a couple months ago, put a couple hundred rounds through it, but am struggling. It has a smooth trigger at <5 lbs, and I let my Uncle shoot it yesterday(I have an acre of land and a range behind the barn) with fairly accurate results. Honestly I am being a bit harsh on myself, as I hadn't shot a pistol in 25 years before purchase, but in the Navy I was a good marksman at 50 yards. I can't afford instruction right now, so I am on my own. I'm baffled at how perishable shooting skills are, with a long hiatus. I've attached my latest target at 10-15 yards. Any tips? Thanks in advance!

Brian R. View attachment 620220
Don't be too hard on yourself , some people cant even hit the target. its a combat gun, not a target gun.

·
Registered
180 Posts
15 yards with gi sights, that ain't bad.
My tisas will shoot about the same. Sure you might do better with lpa's or bo-mar sights or even Novak's but that ain't bad imo. A couple thousand rounds should tighten that up nicely.

·
Premium Member
16,604 Posts
You can slow down and be more deliberate with your shots - at least 10 seconds between shots. Once you start getting a tight group with 3 shots, you can make the determination of whether to drift the rear sight or not, assuming there is nothing about your technique that is throwing the shots off.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Personally, I'd move in closer as long as it is safe to do so. You get a better sight picture, work on the basic fundamentals of the trigger, grip, stance, etc. Confidence will start creeping into your shooting sessions and then it's time to start moving back a little at a time. Starting up shooting again at 10 to 15 yards is wasting ammo in my book. I've been there and done that too many times in my long times between shooting.

·
Registered
I'm a Ruger man.
4,551 Posts
Laser cartridges are cheap and extremely helpful.
Any of the target app on phone or tablet will work.

Or just shoot the diagnostic target with it?
That should tell you what you are doing right quick.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Personally, I'd move in closer as long as it is safe to do so. You get a better sight picture, work on the basic fundamentals of the trigger, grip, stance, etc. Confidence will start creeping into your shooting sessions and then it's time to start moving back a little at a time. Starting up shooting again at 10 to 15 yards is wasting ammo in my book. I've been there and done that too many times in my long times between shooting.
☝ and that is exact solution 👌
plus:
slow down
and prep the trigger before each shot.

·
Administrator
76,500 Posts
That is much better shooting than from the majority of people I see at the local indoor gun range. Usually they will place the target just 10-15 feet away, and the target still looks like a shotgun blast from long range!

I suspect the trigger on your pistol is either more than 5lbs or it has a hard break. The only complaint I've been hearing from Tisas owners is that the factory trigger pull often leaves a lot to be desired. There was one review on YouTube where the sample pistol had a nearly 7# trigger on it. Between that and being a bit rusty with handguns I can see how you're pulling a lot of shots low and left.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hard to judge your marksmanship without knowing stuff like your shooting position, age, eyesight, ammunition.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the tips and encouragement guys! I feel a bit better now.........I'm 47 in December, eyesight is less than stellar(I have stigmatisms and need glasses to see at long distances, and I was using Blazer Aluminum and Federal white box FMJ 230 grain, in reply to the last poster.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Shooting with glasses sucks. I share your pain - I wear bifocals. Keep practicing. Since you have your own range area, try limiting your practice to 20 rounds at a time and practicing more often. Twenty good rounds twice helps more than 50 rounds of trying too hard and practicing bad habits. Also, try using a plain white target with an aiming dot in the middle. I find that kind of target makes me concentrate on the dot better than a busy picture.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
You said you can't afford instruction right now. If you have access to a .22 pistol that would be a great way to learn without as much noise & recoil.
Do wear hearing protection.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Shooting with glasses sucks. I share your pain - I wear bifocals. Keep practicing. Since you have your own range area, try limiting your practice to 20 rounds at a time and practicing more often. Twenty good rounds twice helps more than 50 rounds of trying too hard and practicing bad habits. Also, try using a plain white target with an aiming dot in the middle. I find that kind of target makes me concentrate on the dot better than a busy picture.
Good Luck!
I sometimes turn he targets around to the plain side and tell the shooters I’m instructing to forget about a mark and just shoot for the middle area of the paper. Amazing how their groups improve dramatically. 😄😎

1 - 20 of 126 Posts